• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android App Tutorials

Hey everybody. First time posting in the forums.
I was just wondering if anybody had some really good Android Application Tutorials. I am doing CompSci and one of the chosen languages is Java and I have a pretty good understanding of it. What I am really looking for isn't the usual "Hello World" tutorial but a more in depth tutorial. Also looking for the tutorial to follow on to deeper things. Sort of bring you from beginner to having a pretty good understanding of how apps work and how you build them.
So maybe I am looking for a book but online would be the best. I would really appreciate any tutorials you guys have to offer :D

What I am really looking for isn't the usual "Hello World" tutorial but a more in depth tutorial. Also looking for the tutorial to follow on to deeper things. Sort of bring you from beginner to having a pretty good understanding of how apps work and how you build them.
The tutorials on Advanced Training | Android Developers are pretty good but if you are looking for something different, you may want to check The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development by Mark Murphy.

Reactions: ranger221
Upvote 0
I highly recommend this book:
Amazon.com: Android for Programmers: An App-Driven Approach (Deitel Developer Series) (9780132121361): Paul J. Deitel, Harvey M. Deitel, Abbey Deitel, Michael Morgano: Books

You can learn some of the the best practices for Android Programming with it, which is something that the many examples and tutorials that are found in google lack.

Other than that, you can check the example apps that come with the SDK:
Samples | Android Developers

If you have any issues/doubts, please feel free to message me.

Cheers, mate ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones