• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Application Sites

greggds

Android Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2010
Kingsport, Tennessee
There is a separate forum for Android Applications, but I thought that it might be helpful to have one in this community with the people that we have gotten to know over the past few months. I am new to Android. I know that there are others like me out there, but I also know that there are several of you here that have experienced Android and its applications via the Moto Droid, Droid Eris, etc.

We did have a short thread a couple of weeks ago to the effect of "which applications will you download first." However, if you have no experience with Android, and don't know what those apps do, how would you know what you want?

Below I am attaching links to a couple of sites to start things off.

One obviously is the Android Market Android Market that gives a short description of applications in a "Featured, Top Paid, Top Free" format.

101 Best Android Apps 101 Best Android Apps gives a short description of top-rated/downloaded apps. Searches can be grouped into the following: Today's Top, Yesterday, This Week, This Month, 3 Months, All-Time.

I hope that others can find this helpful. If you have found sites that you use to discover and research applications, please share those with us. For those that have first-hand experience with Android applications, we would love to hear your favorites and exactly what that application is used for.

Thanks in advance!

Added 4/17 from http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/64409-new-android-pre-release-prep-droid-incredible.html

Yeah, that's a great site.

AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...

Is also another good one. It has QR codes you can scan with your phone that will automatically bring you to the app in the store.

That reminds me. I'll be getting 3 apps to start then...

Gotta add Barcode scanner ;)

First 2 apps for me will be Swype and Handcent :)

You should download Google mobile for your blackberry. After running sync all your BB contacts will be uploaded to Google. Once you get an Android phone and log into your Google account your contacts will be there. I find it easier to update contacts via the website on a PC when you have to make multiple changes.

Added 4/17 from http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/58053-1st-apps-you-download.html

We are all desperately waiting for the Incredible to come out. This excess amount of time has given me an opportunity to seek out which apps I will eventually download.

-Where's my Droid
-Pandora
-Google Goggles
-Gameboid
-PDAnet

how about you guys?

Twidroid will most definitely be the first thing I get. I am a total twitter addict. But this gameboid sounds amazing too.

-Advanced Task Killer
-Pandora
-Handcent SMS
-Nesoid
-Snesoid
-Shazam
-Ringdroid
-Google Skymap
-Shop Savvy
-Meebo

Probably more that I can't think of right now. Didn't include a twitter or facebook app since HTC's native support for those seem to be more than fine for me.

My girlfriend has had the Droid since it released, so I've been using her phone to play with apps and fiddle with what I want to put on my phone. My first few apps will be:

-Last.fm
-AndroZip or Astro (for file management, they are both pretty great)
-RoboDefense
-Meebo
-Picasa or Pixelpipe
-Weather App (whichever one I end up choosing)
-Twitter App (whichever one I end up choosing)

There are a few decisions that still have to be made and when we get closer to actually having the phone in our hands, I'm sure that I will start deciding. I'm not sure I'll need a weather app with Sense UI, though. I might just ask the forum what Twitter app they find the best, because there are quite a few and some of the options I may never use.

This is my first time with a smartphone. Below is a list I compiled of what I'm interested in.

Mother TED
Pandora
Google Sky Map
Google Maps
Layar Reality Browser
Wapedia?
facebook
Amazon
Cardio Trainer
USA Today
imeem mobile
Calorie Counter
Places Directory (Google)
Thesarus
Chess for Android
Checkers for Android
Quickpedia?
Last.fm
My Tracks (Google)
Locale
Ringdroid
3DCoche
Key Ring
Here I Am
Evernote
iCraigslist
Weather Channel
Alice
Qik
Shazam
Google Listen
Google Shopper
Google Earth
DroidIn
Where's my Droid
Google Goggles
Gameboid
PDAnet
Meebo
Google Finance
BOA Mobile banking
Timeriffic

Transfer most of my favorite apps from my Eris to the Incredible

Sports Tap
PhoneMyPC (just got today and is fantastic)
PDANet
Bloo
HelixLauncher
Album Art Graber
AniAgenda
CraigsNotification
Handcent
HomesSwitcher
BetterKeyboard
Music Junk
Places Directory
PKT Auction Ebay
Robo Defense
Slacker and Pandora
Weather Widgets
Zedge
Urabn Spoon

Goggles
PDAnet
Pandora
NewsRob
HandcentSMS
NPR
WeatherChannel
eBuddy
Speed Test

Added 4/22 from http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/66308-must-have-incredible-apps.html

The first things I install next Thursday will be:

Barcode Scanner
Google Sky Map
Craigslistnotifica

It's really cool a friend of mine has it on his iphone... basically when your out shopping for something say the latest game you can load the app and take a photo of the barcode. the app accesses the onboard camera and puts a red laser line over the center of the shot. take a photo of the barcode and it will then look up the product and give you prices at other stores!

very useful! especially if you want the best prices when your out and about.

From 10 Android apps you can't live without

Utilities
EasyNote makes the list because of its multi-use capabilities. Create shopping lists, track daily tasks, or simply jot down your thoughts. Folders offer organization, while custom options make nearly every aspect of EasyNote able to serve your needs. Any note or list can be turned into a home screen widget, making for even easier access to your content.

ShopSavvy’s free app was one of the first bar code scanners for Android, and is still one of the best. Scan or manually search for an item, and you can find local and Web results, complete with retailer details and price filters to help you get the best deal. A huge time saver, ShopSavvy makes running errands an easier chore.

PDAnet really comes through in a clutch, tethering your Android phone to your laptop for Internet connection. Free, the Android app is generous with its features, compared to other premium services. Access the Web at a decent speed, and have your text and chat messages rerouted to your desktop, nearly avoiding your phone all together.

Buddy Runner is a free app that wants to be your workout buddy. Track your routes, their distance, calories burned and workout pace via GPS, visualize your work and progress with maps and charts, and easily access your history. Listen to music, and get social with Facebook and Twitter integration.

Upvote 0
Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain they have an app in the market that allows you to sync the apps you store in your list online....automatically download to your device

I've been making lists on that site of apps to try but am not sure what to do once I get my phone. If I install the AppBrain Market App on my phone, will it then try to automatically install all of the apps in my list? That seems to be what the FAQ is saying, but I've got lots more apps in the list than I want installed - it's just a wish list, or a "to be tried later" type thing.

Do I need to delete everything off the list other than what I want installed? Or maybe it just syncs the "My List" and not any other lists I've created? I guess i'm just confused.

Upvote 0
anyone know of any car diagnostic apps? kinda like a scangauge II for your phone?

Kap, the only thing I have been able to find so far is more of a commercialized app from AAMCO that they just released on 4/15. It looks like it might have some useful utility, but not exactly what you are looking for:

YouTube - AAMCO iGAAUGE - mobile application

Upvote 0
For organizing android apps online and without your phone:

Step 1: Go to http://www.appbrain.com
Step 2: Sign in with your google account (they don't get your password, just email for syncing)
Step 3: Add a couple of lists, I made "wanted" and "maybe".
Step 4: Peruse the thousands of apps and add them to your lists of choice.
Step 5: Twiddle thumbs until April 29th.
Step 6: When you get your Incredible, download the Appbrain app and all the apps you chose to install on the website will sync with your phone.

I currently have "22" apps in my wanted folder-all free except one, and about twice as much in "maybe"

Some highlights:

Lookout Mobile Security
Mileage (gas mileage)
iStockManager
PodKast
Docs To Go (might not need with QuickOffice loaded)
SportsTap
Unit Converter - ConvertPad
Slacker/Pandora/Shazam
Redboxer
Movies (with Netflix queue)
Barcode Scanner
ASTRO File Manager

Some more "maybe" apps"

JuiceDefender (battery saver)
MLB at bat
Sniper Shot
Racing Live
Raging Thunder 2
NESoid/SNesoid
PureGrid Calendar widget (and agenda widget)
Vignet
Weatherbug

Upvote 0
Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain they have an app in the market that allows you to sync the apps you store in your list online....automatically download to your device

I am going to be new to Android (coming from a Palm Treo). I checked this site out a couple of weeks ago and it looks pretty good. I like the reviews on the apps.

Thanks for reminding me of the name!:cool:

Upvote 0
Ok, I got it to install it was under downloads, but it created another folder called downloads, I think I know why they took it off the market...I set my location and it found me, then i was scrolling around n it restarted the phone. I've had the phone 4 days and this is the 1st glitch I've seen, other than my pandora acting ******ed but I don't use it anyways..any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones