Android Application SitesGeneral

1. greggds

greggds Well-Known Member

There is a separate forum for Android Applications, but I thought that it might be helpful to have one in this community with the people that we have gotten to know over the past few months. I am new to Android. I know that there are others like me out there, but I also know that there are several of you here that have experienced Android and its applications via the Moto Droid, Droid Eris, etc.

We did have a short thread a couple of weeks ago to the effect of "which applications will you download first." However, if you have no experience with Android, and don't know what those apps do, how would you know what you want?

Below I am attaching links to a couple of sites to start things off.

One obviously is the Android Market Android Market that gives a short description of applications in a "Featured, Top Paid, Top Free" format.

101 Best Android Apps 101 Best Android Apps gives a short description of top-rated/downloaded apps. Searches can be grouped into the following: Today's Top, Yesterday, This Week, This Month, 3 Months, All-Time.

I hope that others can find this helpful. If you have found sites that you use to discover and research applications, please share those with us. For those that have first-hand experience with Android applications, we would love to hear your favorites and exactly what that application is used for.

Thanks in advance!

Added 4/17 from http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/64409-new-android-pre-release-prep-droid-incredible.html

Added 4/17 from http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/58053-1st-apps-you-download.html

Added 4/22 from http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/66308-must-have-incredible-apps.html

Advertisement
    762x51, radworm, lohr700 and 4 others like this.
  2. Kappy

Kappy Well-Known Member

greggds likes this.
  3. Android&Dom

Android&Dom Well-Known Member

radworm and greggds like this.
  4. greggds

Google Sky Map (As seen on TV) featured on new Droid commercials:

Google Sky Map

link includes barcode that you can use the Incredible to scan and download the app.
  5. CrakrJaky

CrakrJaky Well-Known Member

oh gosh I hope I don't overwhelm myself here but ...I'm working a couple Android apps right now and if anyone has any ideas for ones that are NEEDED and NOT OUT THERE on Android Market please PM me (don't reply on here I don't want to bog this thread up)
  6. Dustinb

Dustinb Well-Known Member

Androlib.com is also a great site to check out for information on Android Apps. Androlib and AppBrain are my favorites.
    greggds likes this.
  7. greggds

In the process of compiling three really good threads into one to make things a little more user-friendly.
  8. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

this is a great list and should be stickied, thanks.
  9. bobhalv

bobhalv Member

Does anyone have a favorite checkbook app.

Thanks
  10. greggds

Best Article I Have Found Yet, and from our very own parent site. Not only does it contain a list of favorites from a few different contributors, it also has brief descriptions (Robfactory's goes so far as to provide the actual link for the apps as well).

50 Apps For New Droid Owners | Android Phone Fans
  11. greggds

bobhalv likes this.
  12. greggds

From 10 Android apps you can't live without

13. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I've been making lists on that site of apps to try but am not sure what to do once I get my phone. If I install the AppBrain Market App on my phone, will it then try to automatically install all of the apps in my list? That seems to be what the FAQ is saying, but I've got lots more apps in the list than I want installed - it's just a wish list, or a "to be tried later" type thing.

Do I need to delete everything off the list other than what I want installed? Or maybe it just syncs the "My List" and not any other lists I've created? I guess i'm just confused.
  14. Kappy

Kappy Well-Known Member

anyone know of any car diagnostic apps? kinda like a scangauge II for your phone?
  15. greggds

Kap, the only thing I have been able to find so far is more of a commercialized app from AAMCO that they just released on 4/15. It looks like it might have some useful utility, but not exactly what you are looking for:

YouTube - AAMCO iGAAUGE - mobile application
  16. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

For organizing android apps online and without your phone:

Step 1: Go to http://www.appbrain.com
    Step 2: Sign in with your google account (they don't get your password, just email for syncing)
    Step 3: Add a couple of lists, I made "wanted" and "maybe".
    Step 4: Peruse the thousands of apps and add them to your lists of choice.
    Step 5: Twiddle thumbs until April 29th.
    Step 6: When you get your Incredible, download the Appbrain app and all the apps you chose to install on the website will sync with your phone.

I currently have "22" apps in my wanted folder-all free except one, and about twice as much in "maybe"

Some highlights:

Lookout Mobile Security
    Mileage (gas mileage)
    iStockManager
    PodKast
    Docs To Go (might not need with QuickOffice loaded)
    SportsTap
    Unit Converter - ConvertPad
    Slacker/Pandora/Shazam
    Redboxer
    Movies (with Netflix queue)
    Barcode Scanner
    ASTRO File Manager

Some more "maybe" apps"

JuiceDefender (battery saver)
    MLB at bat
    Sniper Shot
    Racing Live
    Raging Thunder 2
    NESoid/SNesoid
    PureGrid Calendar widget (and agenda widget)
    Vignet
    Weatherbug
    the_animal99 and greggds like this.
  17. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

greggds and Kappy like this.
  18. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

This seems to only use the GPS. I think Kappy was looking for something that plugs into a car's diagnostic port, like Scangauge, and reports info directly from the car's computer. That would be really cool.
    Kappy likes this.
  19. Kappy

Kappy Well-Known Member

Yeah I did want something more like a scangauge, but I just purchased a scan gauge and need a performance timer so this would work

3.99 is kinda lame, but I GUESS I could fork over the $4 haha, thanks guys!
  20. radworm

radworm Well-Known Member

I am going to be new to Android (coming from a Palm Treo). I checked this site out a couple of weeks ago and it looks pretty good. I like the reviews on the apps.

Thanks for reminding me of the name!:cool:
  21. greggds

Handcent SMS is freaking awesome. If anyone needs help setting it up, let me know.

And, as has been rumored, Google Earth is not functioning yet on our handset.
  22. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

is there a widget if you have a voicemail it displays like 1, 2, etc. Kind of like with mail & messages. I found one for missed calls (SMS Unread Count) but would like one for voicemail.
  23. greggds

24. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

I downloaded it, but how do I get it to install, I already sent it to my gmail... pm me please if u can help.
  25. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

Ok, I got it to install it was under downloads, but it created another folder called downloads, I think I know why they took it off the market...I set my location and it found me, then i was scrolling around n it restarted the phone. I've had the phone 4 days and this is the 1st glitch I've seen, other than my pandora acting ******ed but I don't use it anyways..any thoughts?