Android Apps and Permissions

Last Updated: 2010-09-30 14:39:49
  1. JeremyCrowhurst

JeremyCrowhurst New Member

Is there a way to 'customize' the permissions that an app can use when installing or using said app? I would like to be able to say that this app can use GPS but not have access to my Contacts, or allow it to use the network but not access my SD card.

I know that this would likely disable different parts of the app but I am okay with that. I would like to be able to control which functions I give it permission to to use without only having the option to choose to install it or not based solely on what the developer set up.

Advertisement
  2. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

No way to customize!
  3. JeremyCrowhurst

JeremyCrowhurst New Member

So with all of the 'open source' of Android nobody has figured out a way to do this? I guess you would have to be rooted to do it and I am not interested in rooting at this point. Any other hints would be appreciated.
  4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Android simply doesn't have the security features of the BlackBerry OS. With a BB you can set individual permissions for an app; that is part of the overall security built into BlackBerry's.

I've yet to hear of any app for Android that will provide you with such granular control over permissions. Even if such an app existed, I expect you'd need root to utilize it.