• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android battery slow charge/

TLG1991

Lurker
Aug 20, 2011
long story short my s3 either takes forever to charge or when on charge sticks around the same percent but drops rapidly when off charge.

this started all of a sudden i don't install many apps or make many changes so i dont know what it could be. ive swapped batteries with my girlfriends phone as its the same and it still only does it on my phone so its not the battery.

i looked in the battery usage and google services was extremely high on the top of the list but i disabled that and is still suffering.

ive attached a screenshot of the battery usage list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-14-08-50-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-14-08-50-18.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 53
long story short my s3 either takes forever to charge or when on charge sticks around the same percent but drops rapidly when off charge.

this started all of a sudden i don't install many apps or make many changes so i dont know what it could be. ive swapped batteries with my girlfriends phone as its the same and it still only does it on my phone so its not the battery.

i looked in the battery usage and google services was extremely high on the top of the list but i disabled that and is still suffering.

ive attached a screenshot of the battery usage list.

Here are three things to try.

1) You can try using the task manager and killing all running tasks before you start charging, or when the phone seems to be discharging rapidly. Just hold down the home button until the list of running tasks shows, then hit the "X" button(lower right). This will kill all running tasks. I've noticed on my GS3 that if I don't do this once in a while, I will have 16 things running in the background, and they may be using some of my battery, causing it to discharge faster or charge slower.

2) Have you tested your charger? When you plug your charger into your girlfriends phone, does her phone charge slowly too, or does it charge at the normal rate? Have you tried her charger in your phone?

3) Also, when you look at the screenshot page you sent when the phone is plugged in and charging, does it say "Charging (AC)" or "Charging (USB)"? USB charging is much slower. If your charger is plugged into an AC outlet, but your phone says "Charging (USB), then it thinks it's plugged into a computers USB port and it will charge much slower because it draws less current.

Upvote 0
Hey,

I'm having exactly the same issues with my S3. I've been using it for 1,5 yrs now and in last days it started to charge really really slowly (it took me 12 hours to charge from 0 to 100) plus the device is working slowly in general.

I installed antivirus to check for any unwanted apps, I deleted apps I didn't use but I still think it won't be enough. I admit my phone has had a hard life; it fell on the ground couple of times, in february a bit of sea water got in (and after this accident I had these battery issues for the first time but everything was okay after a couple of days). But these issues started with no obvious reasons.

Now I'm thinking about a reset or buying a new battery. Do you think it might help?

Upvote 0
Hey,

I'm having exactly the same issues with my S3. I've been using it for 1,5 yrs now and in last days it started to charge really really slowly (it took me 12 hours to charge from 0 to 100) plus the device is working slowly in general.

I installed antivirus to check for any unwanted apps, I deleted apps I didn't use but I still think it won't be enough. I admit my phone has had a hard life; it fell on the ground couple of times, in february a bit of sea water got in (and after this accident I had these battery issues for the first time but everything was okay after a couple of days). But these issues started with no obvious reasons.

Now I'm thinking about a reset or buying a new battery. Do you think it might help?

If you are an AT&T user just go to the central offices on your city and they will ask you your information and you will receive your battery at your house completely free. Don't waste money on new batteries. I think this applies for any carrier just ask your mobile service provider if they do.

Cheers,
Jambas10

Upvote 0
Have you updated to 4.4.2 KitKat recently? I was playing with my battery life today on my Galaxy S3, and I deleted my batterystats.bin file (requires root) to reset how my phone tracks its battery life throughout the day, and I also downloaded battery saving apps. Those two in tandem extended my battery life to a whopping 8 hours on very heavy use.

The app I used to make deleting the batterystats.bin file easier for me to handle is Battery Calibration (requires root):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&hl=en

And the battery saving apps I have running are
Battery Guru and DU Battery Saver, respectively:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dianxinos.dxbs&hl=en

Upvote 0
Just be careful that the battery is not a replica and its a original 2500mAh 3.5V battery. When its a replica it usually won't work well and what it would do it will heat up your phone and in some cases burn it off. Go on YouTube and look for some videos or on Google you will see what I'm talking about. Anyhow, just make sure its original.
Best regards,
Jambas10

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones