android broswer emulating IE

1. theresa4185

theresa4185 Member

Hello!
    I am new to this forum and not at all geeky, so I really need help!

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 and I have installed Dolphin.

My problem:
    My employer runs our case note program on a site that requires Internet Explorer, which I obviously cannot run on my android browser.

After lots of searching I figured out how to change the user agent to a custom UA string (I found it on useragentstring com) so that the broswer id's itself as running IE.

This has allowed me to get into the program w/o the usual error message saying I need to install IE to enter the site.
    I am able to navigate within the site from page to page.

However, the page that I actually access the case notes does not work for me. I can click on the link that says "case notes". On my PC that causes a window to pop up with a list of all saved case notes. This window does not open, and yes my pop up blocker is turned off, so that isn't the problem.

Any advice?? Thanks!!!

Advertisement
    :
  2. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

God, that problem sounds ugly. Kudos to you for modifying the browser "User Agent" (UA), but I'm afraid that you've run into a computing-neighborhood bully known as Micro$oft which neither works nor plays well with others. IMHO, the only admirable thing they've ever done were the ODBC drivers.

I'll bet money that a proprietary scripting language known as "Active-X" is needed on the page you're trying to display, and I haven't yet found any Android support for it.

It might be out there somewhere, but I'd rather be hunting dog-doo with a pointed stick than try to work with the M$ bully. Open-source web tools such as Apache, MySQL and PHP are freely available and work so much more reliably than any M$ crap.

Suggest to your employer to get a real operating system and tools instead of that home-handyman garbage. ;-) The webserver, database and scripting language mentioned above will even run on the M$ OS, as an example of others who are willing to work and play well even with the bully.
  3. theresa4185

theresa4185 Member

sorry for the delayed, response.
    Thanks for the feedback about the active x issue.
    Any ideas why the site is able to work on an iPad but my tech guy says it absolutely should not be able to?
    BTW my employer is the state, so I doubt I am going to get them to change this anytime soon!
  4. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

It would probably be most helpful if you stated the URL of the page that's giving you problems, so that someone could examine the source code and make a better determination of whatever problem you're experiencing with Android.
  5. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

I did some poking around, and came across this thread. Maybe it will help?
  6. theresa4185

theresa4185 Member

I got it to work, thank you!