• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android + CO2 Sensor

slavix

Lurker
Aug 12, 2009
Hi,
A friend wants to put together a device combining an Android OS and a CO2 (and possibly others) sensor. He knows a bit about mechanical design, I know abit about Android (been playing with Linux for years). we lack electrical engineering skills (may need to find a friend to help).
He found a relatively cheap CO2 sensor device ($100) that may potentially be wired to get the reading into an Android phone. I own a MyTouch that we can use for the prototype. The goal is to get a reading and send it using cell or data signal to another computer.

Here are the docs on the CO2 sensor.

https://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=123abb92b11f7ce2&mt=application/pdf

https://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.2&thid=123abb92b11f7ce2&mt=application/pdf

Any tips on how to go about this project are very welcome!:)

Reactions: edward_valarm
I can't access the pdf's, so I don't know how you want to hook up the sensor to the phone. I imagine USB or I2C.

I don't know how important the Android aspect is for you; if it's hardware hacking you're after, the Openmoko might be a better option -- at least, there are accessible and documented headers for just this sort of thing; but you'll have to write your code on a lower level.

Upvote 0
I can't access the pdf's, so I don't know how you want to hook up the sensor to the phone. I imagine USB or I2C.

I don't know how important the Android aspect is for you; if it's hardware hacking you're after, the Openmoko might be a better option -- at least, there are accessible and documented headers for just this sort of thing; but you'll have to write your code on a lower level.

I already own an Android device and want to work with the platform. Just updated the links to the sensor docs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones