• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Custom Launchers

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone!

I'd like to customize my Sony Xperia Z even more and I am looking for custom launchers, but because I am a lazy sun ov a bits I would like to hear suggestions and pros/cons of the launcher(s).

Thanks in advance!

I did read some threads about them but I didn't really see any explanations or pros/cons or basically anything. They were basically just lists.

Custom launchers can lock you out of some of the widgets included with your phone but on balance are more appealing because they can offer more options for you on how to customize your phone's look and feel.

For me, it extends far beyond eye candy. Having those options allowed me to set up my phone my own way - and that translates directly into faster and easier use for me.

I use and recommend Nova and I also think that Solo Launcher is worth a spin as well.

You have nothing to lose by trying some out except your setup time to see if one is best for you.

If you don't want to use your time that way, then you're probably happy, so stay with your stock launcher. :)

Upvote 0
Custom launchers can lock you out of some of the widgets included with your phone but on balance are more appealing because they can offer more options for you on how to customize your phone's look and feel.

For me, it extends far beyond eye candy. Having those options allowed me to set up my phone my own way - and that translates directly into faster and easier use for me.

I use and recommend Nova and I also think that Solo Launcher is worth a spin as well.

You have nothing to lose by trying some out except your setup time to see if one is best for you.

If you don't want to use your time that way, then you're probably happy, so stay with your stock launcher. :)

I guess I could've worded it better there :)

When I said I'd prefer to not lose time testing I meant that I usually have to try them for a few days (after I've set up all the widgets and applications) and it does truly take time.

Upvote 0
I guess I could've worded it better there :)

When I said I'd prefer to not lose time testing I meant that I usually have to try them for a few days (after I've set up all the widgets and applications) and it does truly take time.

Yeah, I wasn't busting on you or anything.

I stayed with the included launchers for years - I didn't have the time to play with setup and I truly was happy with how things worked for me at those times. :)

Upvote 0
Custom icons sets install separately.

Apex and Solo have some add-on widgets, the Solo clock/weather beta is not bad at all.

They're all reasonably customizable.

Each user tends to find one better on their device than others, just faster and smoother.

For me, it's Nova. For a friend who has the same phone as me, it's Apex. Something to do with our different app and widget uses is our best guess.

Flip a coin a few times, start with one of those three, see what you think. :)

Solo will try to offer the most for free if that matters.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones