Android/Desire Movie File Limit???

Last Updated:

1. starman

starman New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my fancy new Desire and it's AWEEEESOOOOMMMMEEEE :)

But.....

I've been having a few issues with movie playback, a lot of my stuff (100+ dvd encodes) was encoded when I had my iPhone(s) so uses the h.264 codec 640x320 (ish) resolution, the problem I'm having is that large movie files i.e. 2GB and above don't play, yes I have a few at over 2GB - uber long movies..

Is there a size limit in force here?? Android or HTC based??

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. AWBbox

AWBbox Member

I just got video conversion software working for my Desire, I'm in exactly the same situation as you are! I have done lots of little files but have now done a couple that end up just over 2Gb and they refuse to play.

It's total BS imho, there's no reason they shouldn't play and having them any smaller makes the quality too poor for my liking. Has anyone else got >2Gb video files to play on any android phone?

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Why would you have a 2 GB standard definition movie file, period??? My normal PC copies are usually around 700-800 MB. The mobile versions are about 550 MB.

[​IMG]

This is a screenshot from Twister on my Droid Eris, at 464 x 208. In my honest opinion, that is actually pretty good quality considering the movie resolution is bigger than the Eris screen and it actually has to scale it down to fit. I know on the Desire it has a far higher res screen than the Eris but that shouldn't be a big issue since the physical size is marginally larger.

But the problem more likely isn't the video file size, but the codec of the video.

4. AWBbox

AWBbox Member

The HTC Desire has a higher resolution screen and I wanted to show it's capabilities off, I've squeezed Avatar into 1.97Gb and it looks pretty good. It's just a pain that you have to mess around with bitrates just because of some unnecessary file size threshold.