• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android Development with tcpdump.

warriorz

Lurker
May 3, 2012
Hi everyone, l'm having trouble finding information online, mainly due to my naivety with programming, and l'd really appreciate any sort of advice.

I'm creating an android application that will sniff the entire network and display the results to screen. I'm aware of similar applications in the market however from my research l have found them to only monitor the packets on the device itself, not including the other traffic on the network (caused by other devices).

make sense? It is possible to tap into the network and intercept every packet right? l believe this is known as "monitor mode"? I'm using a Transformer Prime.

well anyway, l've created my UI, and have root access, installed TCPDUMP and works well through the terminal emulator.

Now to my question, How would I go about implementing TCPDUMP into my application to compute the necessary commands? Once I've created the strings to send, how would I actually send them to TCPDUMP and relay the information across to my app?

I hope this makes sense, once again l'm sorry for my noobness.
Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones