• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android displaying incorrect signal icon in status bar

Hi everyone,

I've been using an HTC Legend for ages now, but since the official Froyo update my phone has been frequently displaying an incorrect signal icon up in the status bar. On many occasions when my phone has to switch from 3G/HSDPA down to EDGE/GPRS and vice versa, the icon simply won't change. For instance, I just went out into my garden from my office, my phone switched from two bars of 3G to three of GPRS; when I come back upstairs, my phone is displaying two bars of GPRS, but if I carry out a speed test I am getting 3G speeds (over 2Mbs down, 1 up).
This happens in many different locations; I assume that my phone is actually connected to the 3G network, yet it's telling me that it's still on GPRS or whatever. The issue has already been brought up here, but nobody has given an explanation. I've tried factory data resets, to no avail; is there anything anyone can recommend? It's really annoying, and I never trust my signal reading.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones