Android Dummies and Newbies, Unite!! Can We Help Eachother?

Last Updated:

1. aschrantz

aschrantz Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone! If you stumble into this thread, I hope you'll respond! I'm really new to forums, almost as new as I am at being an owner of an Android phone!

I love my phone, but I'm so frustrated sometimes- (with increasing regularity over the past few weeks, admittedly) I know that it could be so much better & run much smoother than it does, but there's so much out there that you can put on it, so many settings I can't seem to gain access to, and it's a little overwhelming! Plus, with apps- it's difficult to find the 'best' of what you're looking for..Especially since I have no idea how/where to look for them online and get them onto my phone from there, so I'm stuck with the market that I can access directly from my phone...

I've been looking for a thread on which to post my questions, but they all seem a bit specific to a type or model, or to one carrier (i.e., T-Mobile, which I don't have)..

I'm hoping that maybe this thread can be a link between people like me, who are facing similar issues, and people who know something about them--we can help eachother out! For instance, I may be at a loss on a lot of aspects of my phone and Android in general, but I do know some things...

So, maybe this works, maybe it goes nowhere (I'm betting on the second one, personally). At least I gave it a try! :D:D:D

Advertisement
  2. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

Ya I'd love to know about some of the stuff I'm still trying to learn. I know the feeling, its a ton to take on lol. I can maybe help with some of the basic questions.

3. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I just opened a thread myself with noob questions about apps, loading apps, music, etc.

I've been reading a lot of threads, and have become just a bit confused. Needs to be a Getting Started/Basics thread, that is generic to the most common things a person will need/want to start doing. But then, maybe it is often specific to phones.

I'll be watching/contributing here when I can. FYI...I'm waiting for the phone to come out that I plan to purchase,so for now, I don't even have an Android. So probably won't be able to contribute much for a little while (hope it's 'little' anyway).

4. quest7

quest7 Well-Known Member

I'm new too, and can share what little i know. Welcome:cool:

5. sonmica

sonmica Well-Known Member

6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Well, best is always subjective.

Appbrain helps but I really suggest reading the Applications forums on Android discussion sites. I find suggestions from other Android users more helpful than attempting to browse the Market.

The place to post your thread really depends on the question itself. If it's model-specific that's what the model-specific forums are for. There are more general forums as well such as Android Lounge, Applications, Games, etc.

A single thread won't solve all problems but it can certainly be a reference (if users bother to search) for those running into the same questions/issues.

...and what were your questions?

7. teresanjones

teresanjones New Member

Hi Everyone ...Newbie here...

When I got my phone last week I found the insert quick text...but Now I can't find the option to insert it????

Help???

Teresa:confused:

8. sonmica

sonmica Well-Known Member

I just checked it myself! While in the main body of the text, hit the menu button and there should be an option to insert a quick text.

9. aschrantz

Hey again, everyone!

I'm glad people responded- Hope that you guys are right and we can help each other--even if it does turn out to be just the basics >.<

At least one person had a few points in their reply to my post.. That 'best' is subjective, and, of course, that there are already threads on here for newbies like me (and the few of you who posted, also!) But we seem to have found each other, so let's help each other out, if we can!

Of course if this tanks, we can always find alternatives--at least that will comfort my soul tonight :p

Maybe, when someone posts an issue or question regarding finding something on their phone, it'd be best if, in your posts, you include as many details as you can about the process(es) you tried..

That way we can help you more instead of bouncing questions back and forth!

Well, that's all with the annoying 'here's what I think we could do' posts..I'll try not to do it again, I swear! And they're only suggestions...:rolleyes:

10. aschrantz

Hey, takeshi-- I've got so many questions I don't know where to begin, so I'll just post them as they hit me... As I think I said in my reply, (of course, I may have done that wrong, too, since I'm new to the whole forum scene as well, but I'm trying my best) you made some good points in your post and I'd appreciate (as well as, I think, every other poster here) any advice/ answers you can give..

Thanks!

11. aschrantz

Okay, I have an actual question this time!!

I work from home, as a virtual assistant of sorts, and I'm on call ALL DAY, and when I can't actually answer the calls that come in (since I DO, in fact, have a life, and errands to run, etc..) they go straight to an online voicemail server, which then sends them in an email to my gmail account...As soon as I get a voicemail, I need to check it.. I had hoped to be able to check them on my phone, but--I apparantly can't, because the software on the phone itself isn't equipped to read the attached files...

Soo, I was wondering whether there was a way to do that--since I really would prefer to not be chained to my desk by these time-sensitive messages...

Any ideas? Oh, and yes--I've searched. But maybe I'm searching the wrong terms, since I've yet to find anything....

12. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

I'm not to sure if this is gonna help or not, but have you checked out google voice?

Google Voice - Features