Android Emulator for PC?

Last Updated:

1. TJP10987

TJP10987 New Member

Anyone have this? Can you do everything on it that you could do with a phone? I won't go into detail, but I recently got a high-end droid and would rather not root it being as I don't really have the need or desire since it has plenty of storage, runs fast enough, and can already take screenshots. Problem is, I would like to test some things on a few apps but I need root access to do it. Is there any way I could use a PC emulator to do this? I'd rather keep my phone with it's original software instead of tweaking it and risk messing it up.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The Android SDK has an emulator.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides

But can the Android SDK emulator be run on a PC? I.E., I think the OP means a Windows box.

From what I know, testing of Android apps in an emulator required the SDK and Eclipse to be set up on a Linux box.
  4. android3r

android3r New Member

Not sure if you can with a Android - PC emulator, but here are some emulators I know:

BlueStacks (won "Best Software at CES 2012" award) - completely free
    YouWave - 7 day trial
    And of course, the Android SDK - completely free

Hope I helped.

**EDIT**: This website explains in-depth detail about the emulators: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-run-android-apps-windows/
  5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The Android SDK comes in three flavors: Mac, Linux, and Windows. I'll double check, but ISTR using the emulator (on Windows 7) to test my first Kitty meow project using app inventor....

Also, Motorola has a Dev studio to allow people to Dev apps on Windows s well.