Android Emulator for PC?

1. TJP10987

TJP10987 New Member

Anyone have this? Can you do everything on it that you could do with a phone? I won't go into detail, but I recently got a high-end droid and would rather not root it being as I don't really have the need or desire since it has plenty of storage, runs fast enough, and can already take screenshots. Problem is, I would like to test some things on a few apps but I need root access to do it. Is there any way I could use a PC emulator to do this? I'd rather keep my phone with it's original software instead of tweaking it and risk messing it up.

Advertisement
    :
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The Android SDK has an emulator.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

But can the Android SDK emulator be run on a PC? I.E., I think the OP means a Windows box.

From what I know, testing of Android apps in an emulator required the SDK and Eclipse to be set up on a Linux box.
  4. android3r

android3r New Member

Not sure if you can with a Android - PC emulator, but here are some emulators I know:

BlueStacks (won "Best Software at CES 2012" award) - completely free
    YouWave - 7 day trial
    And of course, the Android SDK - completely free

Hope I helped.

**EDIT**: This website explains in-depth detail about the emulators: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-run-android-apps-windows/
  5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The Android SDK comes in three flavors: Mac, Linux, and Windows. I'll double check, but ISTR using the emulator (on Windows 7) to test my first Kitty meow project using app inventor....

Also, Motorola has a Dev studio to allow people to Dev apps on Windows s well.