• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Enterprise: Is It Good Enough?

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Consumers have been more than happy with the wide array of Android options on their carrier of choice, but what about business folks? The vast majority still cling to their BlackBerry and a percentage have made the leap into Apple’s secure arms, but the open nature of Android has left most IT Managers to nervous [...]

More...

I don't know. I support enterprise environments and there are still issues with ActiveSync on some phones and there are concerns with security in general. BB and WinMo have proven that they can work flawlessly in enterprise environments. iOS is starting to prove that and Android has a ways to go still.

Upvote 0
I have to say I am really surprised that there is no way to synch your contacts (easily), the whole Android OS seems so complex, trying to find where to do what - I don't see this as a business ready platform at all. I'm having fun with it, but that's what I see the phone as - a fun toy, it's hardly the tool my little Nokia 6126 was, nor is it as good as my ancient Garmin iQue. Live wallpaper is neat, watching Youtube videos is neat, but finding contacts and working with clients is what I need my phone for. It's fun to learn what it can do, so far all it's really good at is play.

Upvote 0
I think that Android thus far has not been focused on business clients, pretty much intentionally. Google has been using the platform to attract broad market users (not business users) and to leverage it's own cloud based services. I think that until android becomes firmly established as the main mobile OS of choice, you won't see google making any real push to provide for local syncing with non-google applications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones