Android Enterprise: Is It Good Enough?

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Consumers have been more than happy with the wide array of Android options on their carrier of choice, but what about business folks? The vast majority still cling to their BlackBerry and a percentage have made the leap into Apple’s secure arms, but the open nature of Android has left most IT Managers to nervous [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. gamma

gamma Active Member

Android is to full of Bugs for enterprises to use. I couldn't imagine a firm like IBM using them...

3. stephenv1971

stephenv1971 Member

4. stephenv1971

stephenv1971 Member

And as far as Ibm not using software riddled with bugs, they have been using lotus notes internally for years!

5. wavemaster

wavemaster Member

For now the single most lacking capability in Android is that it does not allow credentialed access to websites.

That prevents Android users getting to Sharepoint sites.

6. diastro

diastro Guest

If it is one of the main reasons, then it is just a question of time... Soon or later Android will attract enterprises. And when it happens, it will happens in really large numbers.

7. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I don't know. I support enterprise environments and there are still issues with ActiveSync on some phones and there are concerns with security in general. BB and WinMo have proven that they can work flawlessly in enterprise environments. iOS is starting to prove that and Android has a ways to go still.

8. charlse

charlse New Member

i think more and more software for android will be release,and it will be very good.

9. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I have to say I am really surprised that there is no way to synch your contacts (easily), the whole Android OS seems so complex, trying to find where to do what - I don't see this as a business ready platform at all. I'm having fun with it, but that's what I see the phone as - a fun toy, it's hardly the tool my little Nokia 6126 was, nor is it as good as my ancient Garmin iQue. Live wallpaper is neat, watching Youtube videos is neat, but finding contacts and working with clients is what I need my phone for. It's fun to learn what it can do, so far all it's really good at is play.

10. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

I think that Android thus far has not been focused on business clients, pretty much intentionally. Google has been using the platform to attract broad market users (not business users) and to leverage it's own cloud based services. I think that until android becomes firmly established as the main mobile OS of choice, you won't see google making any real push to provide for local syncing with non-google applications.

11. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

You mentioned the cloud based services. That's another thing that has to concern a lot of businesses. Many businesses are sensitive to potentially having their information out in the cloud.

reinbeau likes this.
  12. danarchy

danarchy Well-Known Member

I really do like the Exchange client Android ships with, but after what happened with Verizon's 2.2 update, I'm not sure if it's ready. VZ pushed out the 2.2 updated, crippling the Exchange interface on all my Droid phones until they released FRG22D (which took a few weeks).