• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android event log

polomora

Lurker
Sep 14, 2012
I'm having prpoblems with random crashes on my Samsung Galaxy S2. It's been rooted and now runs Cyanogenmod. I was wondering if there is an Android equivalent to Linux's dmesg command to view the log files located under /var/log. I's like to be able to view the kernel messages just before the crash occurred using a terminal or ssh. Or an app that interfaces to the Android's dmesg equivalent would be ideal.

I tried using the Android System Information app, but this displays an empty log

Many thanks,
Paul

Thanks John,

I tried Logcat Extreme, and it displays the log from the moment when my phone was restarted after the crash.

It seems that the log is not persisted when Android crashes and then rebooted.
Is there a way to save the log to non-volatile memory when a fatal exception occurs, or just before a crash occurs?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones