Android Features?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SJamG, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SJamG

SJamG Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hi There,

I am very new to Android and have just seen the HTC Hero. I currently have an iPhone 3G and would like to replace it with the Hero!

Some questions about whether or not its a worthy replacement :

1. I have a MobileMe account, my email is pushed to my phone - could the get Hero push email? I dont mind switching to another provider if it can do it!

2. I have a mac at home - is there a way Android could sync my contacts/calendars/music/movies/photos? If so, using what?

3. What storage can Android/Hero handle, could I use a 32Gb SD card for example?

4. Will I regret switching??

Some of the questions i have - would appreciate the feedback and depending on the answers, i would switch! (fancy something different - iphone....been there, done that!!!)

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Student
    London, UK
    Hello,

To (hopefully) answer your questions:

1. Yes...it can use push email, however it's not instant push, unless it's with a google account (and even that can have a delay).

2. Erm...the only sync'ing I know of is with Google's servers and your Google account. I've never tried sync'ing to a computer so I can't actually say much on this...

3. It can handle microSD cards of up 32GB (can someone confirm that, please?)

4. It's all down to a matter of opinion, but in my eyes...any switch AWAY from an iPhone..is a good switch! =)

3. SJamG

SJamG Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thanks for your quick reply...

1. Great, so if I start using my GMail account again, it will push from that account to the phone?

2. Ok so we sync with the Google 'cloud' and then have an application to sync that back to the mac - cool. What about music/movies etc?

3. Thats what I like to hear...removable storage...

4. starting to seriously think about it now...

Thanks very much for your input :)

4. sergey

sergey Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    reducing the hate on Android and iPhone
    NYC
    One caveat with the removable storage: you can't store apps on it and there are no plans to implement that feature. It will have 512 mb of space, I think.
    You have to manage the processes yourself sometimes- some apps don't fully close but there are 3rd party apps to help.
    Waiting- you want a hero in the us? Don't be surprised if it gets released early next year.

5. SJamG

SJamG Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I am in the UK, so hopefully we should see it before then.

One can hope...

6. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Scientist
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    For movies and music the phone will mounted as a removable drive so you freely move files back and forth between the phone and desktop.

I don't know about syncing with iTunes though, or whether the various DRM laden formats Apple favour are supported by the various Android media players.

7. fenikz

fenikz New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    im not to sure that the HERO supports 32g removasble storage. The Hero can sync to a PC/MAC using the HTC SYNC software.

8. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Citigroup Plc
    London, UK
    32GB is useable and compatible.

9. fenikz

fenikz New Member

Nov 10, 2009

Nice thank you for sharing that information

Tags: