Android File Transfer (Mac) alternatives?Support

Last Updated:

1. xavious85

xavious85 Well-Known Member

I'm having really terrible luck with the Android File Transfer program on Mac. Majority of the time, it will freeze upon starting the program. Other times when I'm actually able to use the program, when attempting to transfer a number of files over, it'll fail upon the first transfer.

Are there any alternatives out there, preferable by USB? I have SwiFTP, but for the amount of files I'm transferring (2.5 gigs), its taking a long time. Yes, I know I can do this through ADB - which will be my ultimate solution, but was wondering if there is a work around with a UI.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

AirDroid will let you transfer files over WIFI through a browser or a cloud service like DropBox (2GB free with registration but better syncing) or Box (box is giving 50GB free with registration)
  3. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

Air droid and wifi transfers are pitifully slow.
    I tried to download a 800MB movie and it took over 40 minutes.
    USB transfer 45 seconds.

ES File Explorer w/ SAMBA is faster than air-droid. About 3 minuted for the same file.

I'm currently having problems with any UNICODE or files with accented characters using the MTP Android File Transfer app.
  4. Alex Taylor

Alex Taylor Well-Known Member

Which files exactly do you need to transfer between Mac and Android?
  5. tesh

tesh Member

I know this isn't be best solution, but have you considered an OTG adapter?

while i like wireless setups, for large files that i wouldnt otherwise dropbox or wifi over, i use hard wired connections (thumbdrive or usb)

i had android's mac transfer program corrupt the sd in my asus transformer... not really trusting it much anymore...
  6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

What Mac and OS version do you have?
  7. Libran80

Libran80 New Member

I tried to connect my samsung galaxy with my mac and it does not work. It is pointless, I am saving money to buy a windows system I miss using Windows.
  8. Oadbylad

Oadbylad Member

Instead of saving your pennies why not try VMware Virtualization Software for Desktops, Servers & Virtual Machines for Public and Private Cloud Solutions
    I run Windows 7 Windows XP and Ubuntu on my Mac

Just had a thought you will need to watch what apps. you install as some will nullify the usb transfer

Just tried some thing else and found that when i go
    1. Settings to open the Settings application.
    2. Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot.
    3. And then try to Check USB tethering its blanked out
    Any one got a fix for this ??
  9. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

I have a virtual Win 7 set up on my mac as well. The only problem with this is you have to have a copy of Win 7 to load on it. Not everyone has that lying around.

Also VMware is not free....but Virtual Box is :) i had problems with virtual box tho so i purchased VMFusion.