• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android for my mom on sprint?

headpunter

Lurker
Oct 13, 2010
I am a soon to be former iPhone user headed towards a Evo 4g. I am bringing my mom over to sprint since she is on my family plan. I would like to get her a smart phone but of the android phones I am not sure what would be the best one for her.

I was thinking to get her a HTC Hero. I realize it's kind of old but should be adequate for her. As far as the other sprint phones for the price, would there be a better choice? Maybe the transform or the intercept?

What are the thoughts of the android community?

If you're leaning towards getting her a low end android phone on Sprint, don't get the Moment, the Intercept, or the Hero at this point (only get the Hero if you're willing to root it and run CM6 on it, because it's useless as a phone stock, I'll explain why). The Transform might be the thing she needs.

The reason I say don't get the Moment, Intercept, or Hero, is because they're so buggy and broken they're hardly worth thinking about.

The Moment has permanent radio issues, where you have to pull the battery 4-5 times a day to keep it running, otherwise it just locks out and becomes a slightly fancy brick.

The Intercept reboots often, has a slow radio, and lags. I don't think I need say more on that matter.

The Hero, since 2.1, is now COMPLETELY useless as a phone with stock 2.1 on it. The phone dialer will dial out fine the first 1 or 2 calls (if you're lucky), but after that, you'll be waiting anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes before the phone 'magically' makes the call. It just sits like a brick, and does nothing. If you run CM6 (removes everything HTC related on the phone, BONE DRY android, not a bad thing at all), the phone runs much better, and it becomes a phone (you can make calls!).

I've not heard anything bad about the Transform yet... seemed a little bit laggy on the hands-on videos, but not that bad. I'd recommend that over the other three.

Upvote 0
I second the foodman52's post. If you are not convinced u want to spend the extra money for the higher end androids there is always the samsung intercept or something aloft those lines I don't really remember the name of the phone but it is great as a phone and good as far as Sprint gps. Fast and reliable internet eventhough it is not the full browser android experience it works.

Upvote 0
I agree with the previous post. As a former Iphone user you wont be dissappointed using an Evo. One of the best android phones on the market. I don't miss a single thing on the iphone 2nd gen i had. I don't even miss the apps. Android gives me so many more options and iphone just has their customers locked in a damn cell they are so limited.

Upvote 0
If you're leaning towards getting her a low end android phone on Sprint, don't get the Moment, the Intercept, or the Hero at this point (only get the Hero if you're willing to root it and run CM6 on it, because it's useless as a phone stock, I'll explain why). The Transform might be the thing she needs.

The reason I say don't get the Moment, Intercept, or Hero, is because they're so buggy and broken they're hardly worth thinking about.

The Moment has permanent radio issues, where you have to pull the battery 4-5 times a day to keep it running, otherwise it just locks out and becomes a slightly fancy brick.

The Intercept reboots often, has a slow radio, and lags. I don't think I need say more on that matter.

The Hero, since 2.1, is now COMPLETELY useless as a phone with stock 2.1 on it. The phone dialer will dial out fine the first 1 or 2 calls (if you're lucky), but after that, you'll be waiting anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes before the phone 'magically' makes the call. It just sits like a brick, and does nothing. If you run CM6 (removes everything HTC related on the phone, BONE DRY android, not a bad thing at all), the phone runs much better, and it becomes a phone (you can make calls!).

I've not heard anything bad about the Transform yet... seemed a little bit laggy on the hands-on videos, but not that bad. I'd recommend that over the other three.

The Hero is just fine imo, I've even heard better results with recent update on the Hero pertaining to dialer lag.

As with any android phone, normal upkeep on the phone is a must.;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones