Android gaining fast on Apple

Last Updated:

1. TMack

TMack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Well-Known Member

I think Apple will continue to stay dominant because of iPod Touch, but Android should get close to on par with iOS web consumption.

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I think part of the issue I have with these statistics is that the author of the graph, Quantcast, counts both iPhones and iPod Touch's in their IOS numbers. Last time I checked the iPod Touch doesn't have a 3G/4G data radio in it. So how do they justify counting an mp3 player with a WiFi-only capable web browser as a mobile internet device? Truth is that it's only as mobile as the WiFi networks it's authorized to connect to.

In my mind this skews Applies numbers somewhat.

4. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

5. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

Now if only games in the android app market would catch up to apple. :rolleyes:

6. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

This. Gaming on Android has a ways to go yet.

7. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Hooray for Android!

8. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

We've got them running.....

9. dengioroido

dengioroido Member

Congrat on the number.
    never like Apple to be popular like this though. just want Apple to be different.

10. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Android has already surpassed Apple and is only behind RIM now right?

DUDE. Vihzel. You might have to change your avatar.

I've just witnessed the hottest professional tennis player to date.
    Her name is Mandy Minella. She is playing Venus Williams shortly on ESPN.

Dear god, she is SO F_ING HOT.

[​IMG]

11. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

the iOS numbers are for ALL iOS devices. iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad wifi only, and iPad w/ 3g. I agree that the wifi only devices shouldn't count as they aren't mobile. They are just small. I think for something to count as a mobile internet device it should have to have a cellular data connection.

12. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I did my part to help! Just ETF'd my iPhone 3Gs in exchange for a Droid X.

13. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

As much as I don't like apple I think the wifi devices are fair game.

Depending on who you are/what you do you may be bathed in wifi nearly 24/7 anyway.. I mean lots of people go to college which is perpetually bathed in wifi.. easier to pull out an internet tablet and check for class info ect than fire up a laptop.

Infact.. it actually bugs me that I have to get a data package for ANY smartphone I get.. when it comes with wifi.. that I can just so happen to use anywhere on campus for net.. check email from wifi..

And still have the full keyboard/pda features for texting and everything else..

With that said.. wifi we are discussing portal devices that are in some capacity designed to surf the web..

Although.. it does bother me how they mentioned "apple would only fall in shares if every one of their competitors failed to create a half way decent device"..

14. jcheney10

jcheney10 Active Member

You are not forced to buy a service package with your phone if you dont want it. However to get the best price available for a smartphone it requires a 2 year contract or eligible upgrade on a current contract for data. But by all means you are free to buy whatever phone you please without getting a data plan on a contract and just use WIFI, but expect to pay no less than 599 new.

15. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

Uhmmm, craigslist?? I got my mt3g for $200 and it only had a month of use on it. This thing literally could have been returned to the store, it was so clean.

16. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

I would disagree 25$ over 12 months = 300 so lets just say you buy a 200$ captivate... that puts you immediately at 199$ for the phone with two year contract.. + 600$ more in data packages = 800$

In the case of the e71x it was free but, at the time they were still actively sold 30$ a month data package over course of two years = 720$ the phone itself was 500$ for the unlocked *superior* version. If you *had* to have a data package at the time you could stick it on a 10$ data plan if you had a family messaging plan or 20$ individual unlimited messaging plan.

Assuming you wanted the messaging anyway 10$ over 24 months would have been 740$..

20$ more isn't really that bad considering all the crapware at&t put on the phone :/.

The problem is *if* at&t catches you with a captivate they are gunna tag the data package to you automatically. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard from a reliable source they do it.

So unless your buying a totally unlocked device... your going to get a charge.. ironically the e71 is now 250$ on newegg..