Android Help needed (for a presentation)

Last Updated:

1. unicronix

unicronix New Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings all,

I'm presenting android to members of a technology perspective. But I wanted to be able to show the OS on a big screen. The phone in question is a Motorola Milestone.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

A backup I'll be testing is connecting a cam to a projector to just show upclose interaction.

Any coolers ideas would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Advertisement
  2. admile3

admile3 Well-Known Member

Are you going to be able to use your own laptop or computer for the presentation? If you are, you could possibly download the Android SDK and run the emulator. You can most likely (if your laptop has a video output) hook it up to a projector and just run the emulator to go through some of the more basic features of the Android OS. It would certainly give you a much clearer view of what's going on, as opposed to the cam way of doing things (unless you have a very nice camera, on a tripod, which could work just as fine).

But, that's just an idea! I dont know that there are any simple ways of hooking your phone up to a projector and having what's on the screen be projected. I know there was phone-to-TV demo via the USB to HDMI (I think it was?) but I dont know that it completely showed what all was happening on the phones' screen, or if it was simply outputting the movie that was being shown.

3. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

I do this all the time with my phone and my laptop on a projector.

1. You will have to root your phone
    2. Your laptop and phone need to be on the same wifi network
    -You can even use wifi tether and it will work just fine
    3. Download PicMe and run it
    4. Go to the IP and port that it tells you to, and then run the .jar file from the live option... this will display your phone on your laptop (projector) and you can either use your computer to control the phone or use your phone as normal

5. For parts of the presentation where you are not wanting to display your phone, you can use the app called remotedroid to use your phone as a wireless keyboard and mouse for your computer (this also requires both to be on the same wifi connection and will work through a tether)

This tends to blow people away when we make presentations and we have done this flawlessly many times now.

Chiaes likes this.
  4. TheAndroidWorks

I forgot to say, the only small problem that I have with this setup is that the PicMe phone display through the computer does not have a way to do landscape orientation... if you want to do that, you are going to have to install special display drivers on your laptop to rotate the whole output 90 degrees if you need to show anything in landscape.

5. unicronix

unicronix New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for your help everyone.

Regarding rooting the phone. I have the 2.1 version of the OS, how does one root that? My initial investigation seemed to show that 2.1 is not rootable or at least the interest in rooting it is lukewarm.

Thanks again

6. TheAndroidWorks

It depends on which phone you have. Which Android are you rocking? :)

7. Chiaes

Chiaes New Member

Hi, is there an easy way to understand how to set up? I am not too technical in this area. Thanks

8. Chiaes

Chiaes New Member

9. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

The sdk emulator lags like hell even when on a decent computer, and I can run crysis at max settings on that same comp.