Android help please

Last Updated:

1. pcbjs31

pcbjs31 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me. I'm very new to this so hope I'm posting in the right place.

Have bought a 7 Inch Touchscreen GOOGLE ANDROID Tablet PC with WiFi
    and am trying to navigate my way round it. Unfortunately the instruction manual supplied is not very informative. I can't work out how to get a 'home' page icon in the top bar of the device. Am assuming this is the equivalent to a tool bar found on a standard PC.

Can anyone advise me how to get this 'home' page icon on there please?

Many thanks

Linda

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

The bar at the top of an Android screen is the notification bar. It is not equivalent to the task bar or the tool bar found in MS Windows. Android has very little in common with Windows.

Android makes use of several standard keys that are usually hardware keys, but might be soft keys on some devices. If your pad has keys (buttons) below the screen, they should be, in no particular order BACK, MENU, HOME and SEARCH. And, with Android you can have multiple home screens depending on version and launcher.

Read through this article and then give your pad a whirl. Android 101: A Guide to Using Your Android Phone

For specific questions don't forget to include make, model, and versions of your device.

3. pcbjs31

thanks for your advice Lunatic. I'm not a technophobe, but I'm confused.com.

Unfortunately that link was for the Android phone. What my husband has just bought is not a phone, but some sort of hand held touch screen mini computer thingy (now I really do sound thick lol).

We've looked on youtube at many of the demonstrations on there and everyone of them shows a 'home' icon at the top left, I'm guessing it's in what you've called the notification bar. Unfortunately we've been unable to work out how to get this icon in this bar. I've put in there, & lord knows how, the 'HiMSN' icon.

Oh well I'll leave my husband to keep playing with it & see if he works it out. Like a a child at Xmas he'll play with his new toy until he gets bored with it lol.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Android on phone or tablet should be the same, unless they put some wacky launcher that rearranges all the functions. One of the greatest strengths of Android is it's ability to be customized. Taken to extremes it can be problematic.

In any case ... point me to one of the youtube videos you looked at and I'll let you know what you are looking at.

Do you have a make and model of the tablet? I mean in English, I don't speak Chinese ;)

5. pcbjs31

Hello again, & thanks again for your assistance.

this is the youtube video I was referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtle4lGq5-8 & as you will see from the demo there are icons at the top of the screen my husband just doesn't have on his.

As far as we know it's the Google android tablet, 1.6 with 256 samsung processor. This is the actual item he bought 7 Inch Touchscreen GOOGLE ANDROID Tablet PC with WiFi on eBay (end time 02-Nov-10 13:13:43 GMT)

many thanks

Linda