• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android in general...

I need your help as I have some android-existential issues that I need solved before I step into the dark side of iPhone...

I've been stuck with the ERIS for 10 months. I've tried everything in my power to upgrade to no avail. This phone simply doesn't cut it for my everyday use. I am pretty sure it's the HARDWARE specifications of the phone rather than Android itself but...

There are plenty of issues that really annoy me that maybe if I know more about would allow me to get a newer android phone rather than just getting the iPhone

- At least once a day the phone gets real hot for a couple of hours. There's no question it's processing something in the background! I've run appkiller, rebooted, etc only to have it warm up again... WHAT IS THIS??!!

- The need for an appkiller; the system is NOT like windows where apps have to be shut down so memory is freed up... so why in the world is there such a need for appkillers??!!! No question that after a little while the phone gets sluggish and miraculously it improves significantly if you run app killer or reboot.... WHAT GIVES??!!

- No matter what, certain apps run automatically such as amazon's MP3 store, etc... that lack of user control drives me crazy, especially when the phone is sluggish and I KNOW there are apps running in the background I have no clue about.

- Screen sensitivity... no matter if just starting from a reboot; the typing, browsing, etc. is plain brute. This I think might be a hardware issue that I hope is resolved in bigger phones, but for the love of God, such a basic function not working smooth as silk sends me out for a looong loop.

Thank you for bearing with my existential problems. I sure hope there good answers for this as I believe in the good nature of android, but I'm very close to switching sides if I don't hear good comments on the above.

:thinking:

Thanks again!

SW

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Personally I'd suggest replacing the ERIS. It's an older phone and it's specs aren't terribly impressive anymore. If you cannot get an upgrade through your wireless carrier, have you considered eBay? Or Craigslist?

The iPhone is a good phone if you are comfortable with the interface and not really looking to customize the phone to suit your needs. While some customization is possible it's not quite as extensive as what can be done with an Android phone.

Reactions: simonwallace13
Upvote 0
Hi and welcome. Certainly if you can afford to upgrade, do it. But I've had the Eris since November 2009 and still love it....but only because I've rooted it. Sure I'd love a faster phone, a big processor, etc. and will eventually upgrade, but for what I paid for it ($75 I think brand new when it first came out the same time as the Moto Droid) I've more than gotten my money's worth. And I really like the size. I've been wanting to jump to the Thunderbolt but I'm skeptical about how whooping big it is. So, my suggestion would be to root your Eris. When I rooted it most of the lagginess and problems you describe above disappeared. That and I started using a different launcher besides the stock Sense one.

...and you don't need an app killer. There is a setting built right in to easily kill apps running in the background...and usually that isn't even necessary. go to settings > applications > running services.

Certainly switch to iPhone if you want. It's a great phone. But if you want customization...if you want to practically have a new phone everyday because you've changed it from the day before...go android.

Reactions: simonwallace13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones