Android in Japan

Last Updated:

1. thebluemuppet

thebluemuppet New Member This Topic's Starter

Just an introduction since I joined a few moments ago. I live in Japan and have been eagerly awaiting the day when we'd be getting some real smartphones (read: Android) in this country. Now finally the average Japanese user seem to have woken up to new possibilities with the explosive adoption of the iPhone, so we're getting there. Unfortunately the selection of Android based phones are still lagging behind the rest of the world.

The reason for joining the forums was to learn a bit more about how imported phones would work over here. The Droid 2 / Milestone 2 seems to be the perfect phone for me, but can I just bring one over, get a SIM card and expect it to work? Some people say the Milestone 2 will work fine on DoCoMo and Softbank, but others claim it won't. Does anyone have experience trying something like this out? For example, using the standard Milestone (version 1 not 2) with a Japanese SIM?

Cheers // the muppet

Advertisement
  2. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

My Droid 2 is an excellent phone, but it's CDMA so it doesn't even have a SIM. But the Milestone 2 version I suppose does.

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums! :) You can't do it, but the Milestone 2 is going to come out and if it's anything like the Droid X, you'll love it, especially if it's rooted. I am truly enjoying mine. :)

Glad you signed up! Welcome to the AF community! :)

4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums!

5. eggie

eggie Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums BlueMuppet! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here. :D