• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android/iOS

More like when i was still a fan of Apple's system i dealt daily with vehement Android users who felt that those on iOS needed to be converted to Android because Android is so superior. a lot of it reminds me of Mormons going door to door pressuring people to join their religion. i hardly saw any hate from Apple users, more likely i remember well the hate coming from Android users. sure didn't give me any just reason then to consider it at the time (late 2010). names such as 'iSheep' and so on made me angry. it's as if they couldn't accept that someone would choose an iPhone over an Android for whatever reason. they just couldn't accept it. the OP probably sees tons of hate from Android users for Apple users and not the other way around.

Upvote 0
Dammit, didn't realise I had posted this.. Half finished message posted .. Yeah, I mean the hate between both groups.. I never hated android users when I was ios but now I've decided to leave I've got friends who've still got iPhones and the grief I'm getting is just sad, they think iPhones are completely untouchable.. I WAS an isheep, glad I've seen the light though!

Upvote 0
Dammit, didn't realise I had posted this.. Half finished message posted .. Yeah, I mean the hate between both groups.. I never hated android users when I was ios but now I've decided to leave I've got friends who've still got iPhones and the grief I'm getting is just sad, they think iPhones are completely untouchable.. I WAS an isheep, glad I've seen the light though!
We had a great staff member here, also a great app dev - ardchoille.

One day he up and said, what the heck, I'm getting an iPhone and I'm going to dev for that.

The love turned to hate and came seething out of the woodwork. He helped a LOT of people here.

Hate is just sad.

I like to think that it's the vocal view and not the majority view but some days I just wonder.

Upvote 0
There are way too many sheep in both camps who just follow the flock and shout "baaaa" without actually thinking for themselves. :)

That's why I have Shelties! They keep the sheep in manageable groups. ;)
Can't stand 'em.

That's why I let you, lunatic59 and El Presidente do my thinking for me - so I can get it right!

:D

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, then again maybe I'm the only way that sees it this way.

I think a lot of the hate is due to what is being reported.
Every year around Christmas a report comes out that states Apple users shop more than Android users. On a side note, I'm not sure how many of you know that many of the Android browsers, when in desktop mode, identify themselves as safari iOS.

Then there is the story that states iPhone users are smarter than Android users, there is one of those out now.

There is one that says iPhone users make more money, and the sister story that states Android is for poor people.

All of that makes many Android users feel the need to defend themselves, and many iPhone users fully believe those stories.

To me that's what gets the bickering going.

I also have a friend that is a diehard Apple fan.
To him, anything that Android can do that the iPhone can't is stupid and unnecessary.
Even when the iPhone couldn't do copy/paste, record video, no mms, and had no flash.

He would say "I don't need that. I'll just use my camera", or "that's what my computer is for". Then as soon as Apple added it he would say "this is great". I would say "you said it was stupid and unnecessary before*. Then he'd say "I just love the way Apple implemented it."

I see the same mentality on Android forums, but I don't know anyone personally with Android that feels that way.

Upvote 0
In this country there can be some real resentment against iPhone owners, and not just on the internet. It's a "have" and "have not" thing. Basically the one's who can afford $1,000 phones, and the ones who cannot. Because Apple are considered luxury products, just like Gucci and Prada. There might be some resentment against Android owners as well, brands like Vertu. The government banned ads for bling and luxury products a couple of year ago, and that included iPhone ads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, then again maybe I'm the only way that sees it this way.

I think a lot of the hate is due to what is being reported.
Every year around Christmas a report comes out that states Apple users shop more than Android users. On a side note, I'm not sure how many of you know that many of the Android browsers, when in desktop mode, identify themselves as safari iOS.

Then there is the story that states iPhone users are smarter than Android users, there is one of those out now.

There is one that says iPhone users make more money, and the sister story that states Android is for poor people.

That's very much what can happen here in China, iPhones are sold as luxury products, there's no carrier subsidies available, and Apple prices their products rather high here. Apple had to suspend selling products in Russia recently, because the rouble went into free fall. And iPhones could be "reassuringly expensive" there as well.

Tell you a little story, a former acquaintance of mine a couple of years ago, always had the latest Apple products, Macs, iPhones, iPads, as well as always wearing nice(expensive) watches, designer clothing, drove a Merc. Often taking me out to the best restuarants in the city, eating Peking Duck, etc. One day he didn't turn up, phone was turned off, and nobody could tell me what happened to him. I just found out recently he's serving 20 years hard labour for corruption.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's very much what can happen here in China, iPhones are sold as luxury products, there's no carrier subsidies available, and Apple prices their products rather high here.

Tell you a little story, an former acquaintance of mine a couple of years ago, always had the latest Apple products, Macs, iPhones, iPads, as well as always wearing nice(expensive) watches, designer clothing, drove a Merc. Often taking me out to the best restuarants in the city, eating Peking Duck, etc. One day he didn't turn up, phone was turned off, and nobody could tell me what happened to him. I just found out recently he's serving 20 years hard labour for corruption.

Wow.

Upvote 0
That's very much what can happen here in China, iPhones are sold as luxury products, there's no carrier subsidies available, and Apple prices their products rather high here. Apple had to suspend selling products in Russia recently, because the rouble went into free fall. And iPhones could be "reassuringly expensive" there as well.
No, you didn't follow.

That doesn't happen here.

Those are nonsense press claims here by Apple faithful press.

Here the iPhone costs the same or less as high end Androids.

You have to be an idiot to see 4 phones here next to an iPhone that cost the same or more and think, wow this is a luxury item.

Neither does any data support it's preferred by the luxury class here.

This is not China.

We do have people who wait in long lines to buy them.

That's called more time than common sense.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
No, you didn't follow.

That doesn't happen here.

Those are nonsense press claims here by Apple faithful press.

Here the iPhone costs the same or less as high end Androids.

You have to be an idiot to see 4 phones here next to an iPhone that cost the same or more and think, wow this is a luxury item.

Neither does any data support it's preferred by the luxury class here.

This is not China.

We do have people who wait in long lines to buy them.

That's called more time than common sense.
I think what fuels the iPhone = Luxury item in the US, at least it did for me, is the fact that Apple products in general are more expensive than their competition. Macbooks, iMacs, etc are generally much more expensive than a similarly equipped PC. So that same perception is extended to phones, even if there is more price parity in reality.

Upvote 0
I don't like iPhones because of the design. They all look the same, and even though they look all fancy and nice, everyone has them and its just boring to me... To give my pure and honest opinion, I wish I could put iOS on the phone I have now. I think iOS is just more refined and definitely smoother than android. I don't want to start a fight or anything, but that's my opinion. Oh and the apps. The apps on Apple just seem better. Android came a long way from where it started and I definitely do love lollipop on my phone. Don't get me wrong, having variety on android is great. I love how I can pick the phone I want and they all look different in their own way, and how you have all this freedom to do whatever.

Upvote 0
Or could buy a Xiaomi? Third largest smart-phone maker in the world now.
Not sold in the US, have to order from Xiaomi, no 4G support, no CDMA support, no service centers, no carrier support.

Full up MIUI demos are really quite often astounding.

US phones getting MIUI ports get only an incomplete shadow of it.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
Can't stand 'em.

That's why I let you, lunatic59 and El Presidente do my thinking for me - so I can get it right!

Why didn't I find out about this sooner???

MIUI though, for all it's apparent Bells & Whistles, I couldn't ever get in to it. That was from a custom port though, I've no idea what it would be like as a stock ROM on a handset designed for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones