• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android is continuing support for EVO 4G, right?

I'm considering getting an EVO 4g and would hate to get it if they have plans on dropping support for it anytime soon. Which is exactly what happened when I got the Samsung Moment.
Is there a different phone I should consider getting that's still in the same price range?

not sure what you mean by support. if you mean like updates, then yes and no i believe. the evo will go into eol (end of life) this october. we might get some smaller updates, but if you think that we will get the next android version, icecream sandwhich, then you are most likely wrong. i really doubt that the next version will ever come to the evo officially. however, the rooted community is still going strong for the evo. i am rooted and i have a custom rom that is coming from a phone that is not even out yet. it is the htc runnymede. what is cool is that it is a sense 3.5 rom and that is something that our evo will definitely will never get.

i'm eligible for an upgrade now, but i'm waiting for this holiday season to see what phones come out. i'm not in a hurry to ditch my evo.

so unless you root your phone, i think that htc will be moving on to other phones soon. so the choice is up to you.

Reactions: CitationNeeded
Upvote 0
Do you know would phones will be getting Ice Cream when it comes out?
I realize that everything runs on a cycle and it'll all be obsolete eventually, but I don't want to get a phone that'll stop getting updated a few months after I buy it.

Again, the evo is now EOL. It is already a year and a half old, its likely you wont see ANY more updates on it. If you want to ensure updates, get a newer phone.

Upvote 0
Honestly if you really want ICS wait for it to drop and see what phones come with it because its behavior is supposed to be radically different. Its not built around the same soft buttons that phones like the Evo have. I would want to wait for a phone that was biult with ICS in mind. Seeing as how its a couple of months out I would hold off if possible.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
OP..

the evo 4g is at eol.. so you have already answered your own question.. official support will not be the same as a new phone.

if you are looking to spend about $100 on a phone with sprint.. you might look at the new MID-range phone to be released soon:
HTC EVO Design 4G Appears In Official Press Image

I think you can find the Photon (high-range) for around $100 at amazon and other online sources.

Upvote 0
not sure what you mean by support. if you mean like updates, then yes and no i believe. the evo will go into eol (end of life) this october. we might get some smaller updates, but if you think that we will get the next android version, icecream sandwhich, then you are most likely wrong. i really doubt that the next version will ever come to the evo officially. however, the rooted community is still going strong for the evo. i am rooted and i have a custom rom that is coming from a phone that is not even out yet. it is the htc runnymede. what is cool is that it is a sense 3.5 rom and that is something that our evo will definitely will never get.

i'm eligible for an upgrade now, but i'm waiting for this holiday season to see what phones come out. i'm not in a hurry to ditch my evo.

so unless you root your phone, i think that htc will be moving on to other phones soon. so the choice is up to you.

hey ocnbrz,

i read alot and do not post much but i like reading your comments.

how do i get this fancy new software you have on your phone? can you provide a link to the info and instructions if possible.

i am rooted and do not want to lose the wireless tether feature.

Upvote 0
hey ocnbrz,

how do i get this fancy new software you have on your phone? can you provide a link to the info and instructions if possible.

you are already rooted.. so the hard part is done.

you just need to look for the Custom ROM you want to try out.
remember to do a nandroid backup.. so you can always put your phone back to the way it was, if you dont like what you see.

head over to xda to look...read the "stickys"
EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers

Upvote 0
hey ocnbrz,

Also, in the "All things Root" section, there is a ROMS and KERNELS thread. Try that, it is updated all the time.

Upvote 0
Buy a phone for what it can do now, not what it may do tomorrow. That will greatly reduce your chances of disappointment. The Evo's gone as far as it's going to go, which is to say a very stable 2.3 platform (rooting can/may take it farther, but stability is always at risk). The advantages to still buying one now are reduced cost of device and because of its popularity, abundant cheap accessories. The Evo4g was so ahead of the curve that it still holds its own with the newer models released months after it. It's not the fastest out there, but still fast enough. The screen is probably the place where it's falling behind faster than anything else, but it's not that bad either. If you're the type who feels pressure to keep up with the Jones's, spend a bit more and look at the Epic Touch or wait a bit till a ICS phone drops (possibly November?). In tech gadgets, sometimes biting the bullet and spending more for the latest greatest is the better deal, if you end up staying with that device longer.

I have an upgrade available now and I've looked at the Evo3d/Photon/epic Touch. I'm leaning towards giving the upgrade to my wife so she can replace her Epic and sitting tight with my OG Evo till our next upgrade in July when ICS phones will surely be available. The Epic Touch is very attractive though, I just wish it wasn't made by Samsung!

Upvote 0

Good call for sure ocbrze and you are definately someone who knows his way around this phone. I've been following ur advice since I bought mine. I just flashed OMFGB running AOSP 2.3.7 and I love it. I was pretty diehard Sense user and was running Runnymede till I found this one. Has godmode cooked in so I only has 12 MB used when I flashed. I have 133 user apps installed and still have 290 MB free. Oh yeah, I just scored 1576 on Quadrant with minor OC to 1.1 gHz! Love this ROM!!!!

Upvote 0
]Buy a phone for what it can do now, not what it may do tomorrow. [/B] That will greatly reduce your chances of disappointment. The Evo's gone as far as it's going to go, which is to say a very stable 2.3 platform (rooting can/may take it farther, but stability is always at risk). The advantages to still buying one now are reduced cost of device and because of its popularity, abundant cheap accessories. The Evo4g was so ahead of the curve that it still holds its own with the newer models released months after it. It's not the fastest out there, but still fast enough. The screen is probably the place where it's falling behind faster than anything else, but it's not that bad either. If you're the type who feels pressure to keep up with the Jones's, spend a bit more and look at the Epic Touch or wait a bit till a ICS phone drops (possibly November?). In tech gadgets, sometimes biting the bullet and spending more for the latest greatest is the better deal, if you end up staying with that device longer.

I have an upgrade available now and I've looked at the Evo3d/Photon/epic Touch. I'm leaning towards giving the upgrade to my wife so she can replace her Epic and sitting tight with my OG Evo till our next upgrade in July when ICS phones will surely be available. The Epic Touch is very attractive though, I just wish it wasn't made by Samsung!

Good, good advice.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones