• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android is not compatible with Mac (sometimes)

teamdrink

Lurker
Dec 22, 2010
I was with U.S Cellular and they sold me a Desire smartphone by Android so I could steam live music. That was my first smart phone. It would show plugged into my laptop. I spent hours in the store with employees trying to get it to read. Finally they got a hold of Android and found out it was not compatible with mac. The mac knew the phone was there but the phone couldn't acknowledge it back. They say they are working on making it compatible. The U.S Cellular employees were surprised it was not compatible. It's supposed to be the new SMARTPHONE after all. Since I have a mac computer I had to pay to cancel my phone contract early so I could go to AT&T and get the iphone. Luckily I don't regret that. The iphone is way better then the smartphones by Android! THEN, Android took over being the operating system for Archos brand media players. I have been using their products for years. I own many of them. I even run a website that helps sell the Archos products among other music players. I bought the new Archos 5. Two actually, one for a gift. To my surprise it would't acknowledge my computer. This is the newer version of my old music player. It's supposed to be newer and smarter. It doesn't say anywhere that Android is not compatible in the box or website when I bought them. If you own a Mac then you know there is no way you are gonna go PC. You cannot use Android if you have a Mac. Don't waste your time trying. You could get stuck with a restocking fee or early cancellation fee from a phone contract! I think it sucks they haven't worked that out yet. Most people that are seriously into media use Mac.

OK, totally incorrect assertion in the OP.

I use OS X and have assisted many others getting HTC Android phones working mondo-OK with Mac OS X.

Perhaps there's an app issue or a vendor issue (forget getting Samsung phones to work as easily with a Mac - but it can be done).

But the HTC Desire?

Post back briefly what you're trying to do, I'll be glad to help.

And - welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones