• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android is not Wallpaper friendly.

Why would I want to only select part of the photo? NO other phone asks me to only use part of a wallpaper.

I have a ton of 480 x 800 wallpapers and they all look like crap if used AS a wallpaper. They looked perfect on my iPhone(s).

Here, I will show you.

In photo gallery:

screenshot_2.png

Setting wallpaper: (You can only make the box so big, it's a very illogical system. I want to use the WHOLE wallpaper.)

screenshot_3.png

Set as wallpaper:

screenshot_4.png

It's very frustrating that the great Android can't do this one simple function that even my Moto Razr V3 still does perfectly.

Before you reply.

1. I have scrollable wallpapers turned OFF thru Launcher Pro. I have no need for wallpaper that moves.
2. Every other phone EVER made has no problem with displaying wallpapers that are already at the correct resolution for the screen.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a hack or application that will let me use my own 480 x 800 wallpapers they way they were meant to be used??

Because 480x800 isnt the correct resolution for the device?

For instance I have a Desire...the correct format is 960x800, if I size an image to those dimensions I can use the WHOLE image as wallpaper.
If I set LP to not scroll wallpaper then only the center section (which is 480x800) shows on all screens

So if your image is already 480x800 resize the *canvas* to 960x800 (In photoshop or the editor of your choice) leaving the original image in the center. You can set the background to whatever colour you like because if you have scrollable wallpaper off you wont see it ...then you will be able to use the whole image as your wallpaper with your original picture in all its completeness behnd every screen!

The reason it requires 960x800 not 480x800 for wallpaper is to allow for the parallax scrolling of the wallpaper across the home screens.

Upvote 0
I don't think you get how Android uses wallpapers.

Here's an original image.

d9527476.png

Here's the cropping tool. Its showing the region that it will use for my wallpaper.

583405c3.png

Here's my wallpaper. Notice how some parts of the picture that I didn't crop out are absent? That's because when you scroll left and right, its scrolling the background with it, and that's why its a normal 4:3 crop tool.

Its not illogical if you really think about it.

Upvote 0
I don't think you get how Android uses wallpapers.

Here's an original image.

d9527476.png

Here's the cropping tool. Its showing the region that it will use for my wallpaper.

583405c3.png

Here's my wallpaper. Notice how some parts of the picture that I didn't crop out are absent? That's because when you scroll left and right, its scrolling the background with it, and that's why its a normal 4:3 crop tool.

Its not illogical if you really think about it.

Ok, see, I understand that's how android uses wallpaper, but a lot of us HATE it and would rather just have one static, properly sized wallpaper in the background that doesn't move as you move home screens. I just don't understand why the wouldn't give you the option of having a nice, basic, STATIC wallpaper and allow your panels/screens/whatever to move over the top of it.

Upvote 0
I see your frustration, and I understand that this doesn't really work all that well with a lot of wallpapers. However, there are some wallpapers it's excellent with. I've had the same wallpaper for almost 2 months now because it works for me and its pretty sweet.

Attachments

• el45ls.jpg
    el45ls.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
I see your frustration, and I understand that this doesn't really work all that well with a lot of wallpapers. However, there are some wallpapers it's excellent with. I've had the same wallpaper for almost 2 months now because it works for me and its pretty sweet.

Yeah, I just want a photo of my husband and my kid, but android hates my freedom to be a sappy mom.

Upvote 0

For instance I have a Desire...the correct format is 960x800, if I size an image to those dimensions I can use the WHOLE image as wallpaper.
If I set LP to not scroll wallpaper then only the center section (which is 480x800) shows on all screens

So if your image is already 480x800 resize the *canvas* to 960x800 (In photoshop or the editor of your choice) leaving the original image in the center. You can set the background to whatever colour you like because if you have scrollable wallpaper off you wont see it ...then you will be able to use the whole image as your wallpaper with your original picture in all its completeness behnd every screen!

The reason it requires 960x800 not 480x800 for wallpaper is to allow for the parallax scrolling of the wallpaper across the home screens.

I have a Samsung Captivate. Where is the setting to turn off scrolling? Or is there one on the Captivate?

Upvote 0
There isn't any reason you can't use a photo of your family. You're just going about it wrong. Not only is your devices resolution much higher than before, but you're also trying to fit a rectangle into a square.. Most family photos work fine because they are already the same ratio by default as what android uses. You can also look for an app like 'Flickie' which provides 1000's of super nice high quality wall papers, all fit for android. This isn't a software limitation, it's just different than your expectations.

Upvote 0
There isn't any reason you can't use a photo of your family. You're just going about it wrong. Not only is your devices resolution much higher than before, but you're also trying to fit a rectangle into a square.. Most family photos work fine because they are already the same ratio by default as what android uses. You can also look for an app like 'Flickie' which provides 1000's of super nice high quality wall papers, all fit for android. This isn't a software limitation, it's just different than your expectations.

I'm trying to fit a rectangle into what should be a rectangle but that they've made a square (well, really a wide rectangle) in an effort to be fancy. If the user doesn't want a scrolling wallpaper, we shoujld be able to just put a static wallpaper suitable to the resolutuion of our screen and have it stay put. I understand that it's a "feature," but how hard would it be to go simpler for the user who wants it? Not very, I think.

Also, as far as I can tell, on my epic there's no way to turn off the scrolling as some people have recommended.

Upvote 0
flickie use to have a one touch set as wallpaper but it vanished? and the app isnt even working for me right now so i am using the HD verison

Upvote 0
Ok, see, I understand that's how android uses wallpaper, but a lot of us HATE it and would rather just have one static, properly sized wallpaper in the background that doesn't move as you move home screens. I just don't understand why the wouldn't give you the option of having a nice, basic, STATIC wallpaper and allow your panels/screens/whatever to move over the top of it.

Because the "great android" is greater than plain old static wallpapers :D

Upvote 0
One thing you could try is to resize your original wallpaper down to either {maxwidth of your screen) or else {maxheight of your screen} (whichever is the larger dimension of the picture) and then use the resulting pic as your wallpaper - it should then fit in its entirety.

In my sig I have lots of pics that I have resized for the DROID specifically, at dimensions of Max 480 / max 854, and they work well on my phone.

If you click any of the NSFW links, well, you were warned...so don't come running to me about them....

but not all of the images in even those categories are NSFW, just some.

Upvote 0
I have an idea. But you need a pc and photo editing software. Make the photo you want, the tall rectangular shape of your screen, smack in the middle. On either side, add raindrops or some colorful design, so you have a wide rectangular shape that is standard wallpaper size. When you add it as wallpaper to your device, at least the middle will look how you want, and side scrolling won't distract too much from your pic of choice.

Upvote 0

Please ... i have the same issues that are being described ...... how do i resize?? ...... (idiot at apps!!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones