Android IssuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. pchapman

pchapman New Member This Topic's Starter

I purchased an HTC Magic in May, and have happily been using it for the last few months.

Last night whilst demonstrating the 'great' pattern lock feature, my phone locked to the point of requiring my Google username and password ("Too many pattern attempts!" error). This unlocking feature has worked in the past, but this time I have been completely unable to reset my device pattern. I am also noticing that the phone appears to almost instantly reject my details whether i have no sim card in or a full 3G signal.

This seems to be a common bug with Android, which has yet to be addressed by Google - see http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3006

So in an attempt to repair my phone, I have held down the Home button whilst pressing the Power button - after a few seconds of seeing the Vodafone loading screen, I see an image of a white triangle with a yellow exclamation point next to a image of the HTC Magic. This stays on screen indefinitely (at least 5 hours when my patience ran out).

I am able to load into Fastboot mode (Hold Back and press Power), and the details I can read are:
    SAPPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-ON G
    HBOOT-1.33.0004 (SAPP10000)
    CPLD-10
    RADIO-2.22.19.26I
    Apr 9 2009,23:30:40

FASTBOOT

<VOL DOWN> HBoot Mode
    <SEND> Reset Device
    <ACTION> Restart to HBoot
    <MENU> Power Down

Could the hardware be faulty?
    Am I able to recover my phone?
    Is there anyway I can save the current state of my phone, to later retrieve text messages/pictures etc.?
    If I want to root my phone with the new 1-click method, do I still need to fully recover the devicde to factory settings first?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

Advertisement