Android Itunes Sync Apps

Last Updated:

1. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Do the Android Apps that sync with your iTunes get broken when you update to a new version of iTunes?

I just saw a post where the Pre's iTunes sync got killed in the 9.0.2 upgrade.

Advertisement
  2. silverhack

silverhack Active Member

It depends on the app you're using, but mostly the answer is no - it should work with newer versions of iTunes. The reason why it keeps breaking on the Pre is because Palm is doing a sort of "hack" by sending the computer the hardware ID of an iPhone, so iTunes actually thinks the Pre is an iPhone. Apple doesn't like this and keeps updating iTunes to block it. But the sync apps don't do this. Most of them have a background process that syncs playlists to folders on the Droid.

3. smilepak

smilepak Well-Known Member

What are you using to do the itune sync?

4. silverhack

silverhack Active Member

5. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Have either of you tried doubleTwist?

6. silverhack

silverhack Active Member

I haven't used DoubleTwist, but I remember hearing/reading about it and from the demos and screenshots it looks like that is probably a better/easier solution. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, Songbird is supposed to work well too. But that's more of an iTunes replacement whereas DoubleTwist works WITH your iTunes Library

7. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying Double Twist now. It looks like it is going to take all day to sync.

8. shoresidejake

shoresidejake Member

I used doubleTwist. Took about 45 minutes to sync 1500 songs.

9. Jim_1234

Jim_1234 Active Member

10. andreo

andreo New Member

I'm new here so how's it going everyone.

I was a bit concerned over the sync issue also. But I only need to get updated podcasts. From what I've read it seems that Google listen will let me subscribe and sync these over the air.
    If that's the case I can pretty much get rid of iTunes since the music on my devices hasn't changed in over a year.

11. Skyfox16

Skyfox16 Well-Known Member

for those of you using DoubleTwist..... i mounted my droid, but when i click on the device inside of doubletwist it just shows the amount of space i have used out of how much is left......

i cant seem to get it to sync... what am i missing??

12. zcast

zcast Member

13. jlund

jlund Member

If you just plug your droid into your computer, then pull down the top shade on the droid. Enable "mount" you can literally just go into your iTunes music folders on your computer and drag them to the Amazon MP3 folder on the Droid...

Then you can find all your music on the "music" icon on the phone.. :)

isawceleste likes this.
  14. NoSenseWorrying

NoSenseWorrying Well-Known Member

Is anyone having any trouble syncing a droid with DoubleTwist or Salling Media Sync?

I've tried both on my Macbook, and every time I try to sync (which takes about 30 minutes for a lot of songs) both my laptop and phone freeze. I have to reboot my laptop, and reset my phone by pulling out the battery. I've seen suggestions for media monkey and songbird, but I just wanted to know if I'm the only one?

15. zcast

zcast Member

I tried DT and never locking up problems, but just seemed to lag and take a while. Hence why I switched to Songbird on my Mac. I still use iTunes for things, but Songbird encompasses so much more so I started using it as my primary app. Plus using the Folders Sync addon, it actually SYNCS vs dragging and dropping to a memory card. Just select the playlists you want synced and Songbird just does it. If you take 10 songs out of your playlist in Songbird, the next time you sync it with your phone, those songs will be removed.

-Z

16. NoSenseWorrying

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Okay -- the next step for me will be seeing if Songbird also locks up my computer. Just out of curiosity, what version of OS X are you running? I've got Snow Leopard going...

17. zcast

zcast Member

I am still on 10.5.8 due to a couple key work programs I use that would be broken with the update. According to Songbird though, it's 100% compatible. Another thing to keep in mind, is how much resources is DT taking up. I ran the activity monitor to see how Songbird compared to iTunes.

iTunes was running 45.5% CPU usage and 65MB memory usage.
    Songbird was running at 4.4% CPU usage and 125MB of memory usage.

Both were playing the same song in the background.

I think Songbird uses more memory because I my instance of it, it is fetching lyrics, artwork, and Amazon store links. Still, only 4% CPU vs 45% is kinda crazy.

Try it out and see what happens. I just wanted a solution other than drag/drop my songs.

-Z

18. NoSenseWorrying

Thanks! I'll try it out and post back my findings!

19. NoSenseWorrying

So, I tried Songbird and it ended in the same result -- my laptop and phone freezing after getting part of the way through the sync. So, there's gotta be something wrong with my Droid (or even my laptop) -- right?

20. dharma99king2

dharma99king2 New Member

Just got my Droid and immediately downloaded Doubletwist. Things rarely work as advertised, but I got 1500 songs, 1500 photos, and three feature films to sync with ease in about an hour. I am still shocked at how well that program works!

ldav likes this.
  21. asandwich

asandwich Member

I'm having the very same problems as NoSense. I think it may be a problem with the sd card but I'm not really sure. I can't seem to sync with any program--the computer and the phone both freeze partly through the transfer. Strangely, the card also corrupted after I manually transferred about 4 gb of music and I had to reformat it again. I haven't tried transferring with another card yet but that's my next step. Maybe I got a faulty card with my phone? I don't know. Any help would be great.

22. td4j@aol.com

td4j@aol.com New Member

Has anyone used the app TuneSync, from Highwind software. It looks interesting and very cool that all the syncing is done over a wifi connection. However after reading all the complications over simple itunes syncing I am sceptical. Any thoughts on this app???

23. zachd

zachd Well-Known Member

try out doubletwist

24. Malgiliath

Malgiliath Active Member

Tried Songbird to no real affect, was just to slow on my W7 lappie, read about DoubleTwist and gave it a go. iTunes rips extremley quickly for me and DT syncs so much faster then SongBird.

25. Campah

Campah Well-Known Member

Can anyone on a Mac tell me if they've found anything that does two-way-sync?

As in if I download a song on my computer, it will automatically transfer to the phone on sync, and if i buy a song on my phone, it will transfer over to my computer?