• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android L confirmed for s3

Knox doesn't stop custom roms. All it does is trigger a warranty flag in download mode and prevent you from downgrading boot loaders and modems. It's really not the end of the world. Just annoying. At least on this phone I'm not sure how it effects others.

It's the warranty thing I'm worried about. Hopefully it will still be unlockable on most phones.
I wonder if it would affect warranty on a nexus which are there to be hacked. My next phone will probably be a nexus.
If they make the warranty voidable on a nexus they have a cheek after all the custom rom features they've cherry picked in L

Upvote 0
It's the warranty thing I'm worried about. Hopefully it will still be unlockable on most phones.
I wonder if it would affect warranty on a nexus which are there to be hacked. My next phone will probably be a nexus.
If they make the warranty voidable on a nexus they have a cheek after all the custom rom features they've cherry picked in L

They sort of already have that in the Nexus with the tampered flag, though that can be switched on and off with a root app currently. Even if the tampered flag is set to true, I still haven't heard of Google denying warranty to someone. What the future holds is unknown though.

Upvote 0
They sort of already have that in the Nexus with the tampered flag, though that can be switched on and off with a root app currently. Even if the tampered flag is set to true, I still haven't heard of Google denying warranty to someone. What the future holds is unknown though.

Yeah I have a feeling unlocking a nexus is allowed warranty wise, it can always be relocked anyway but with Knox there's no hiding it.
Nexus is a developer device though, I can't imagine Google ever making unlocking and flashing a nexus void the warranty.
Most of the new features in Android L are copied from custom roms lol

Upvote 0
i think the problem is that google caves in too much to the corporate companies, which is the opposite of why google became so popular thats just my opinion could be wrong but never am lol

If you're right , Android is dead to me. Their innovation comes from us, the user giving feature requests to rom dev teams and that travels upstream. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
its a new root method and no its for "
Definitely invited: AT&T GS5, Verizon GS5, GS4 Active, Nexus 5
May have some troubles at the door but invited: AT&T/Verizon Note 3
Possibly invited: Every Android phone with a kernel build date < Jun 3"

thats direct quote from thread, i was reading around on phandroid and various other posts seems to work on alot of phones and btw confirmed like 30 mins ago for s3, also like i said cool thing is in his op says no knox trip when he did!!!!!! its done by geohot a recognized dev

by the way how ya been bro dont really see ya as much as before

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
by the way how ya been bro dont really see ya as much as before

I'm great mate, you. Been spending a lot of time on g+ chatting about my new interest "vaping" and testing roms.
I have a test build of OctOs for my Nexus 7 I'm gonna flash that tonight, it's very rough still but I've been waiting ages for them to build for one of my devices.
They build directly from Android repos, no CM or Slim in there.
Their settings menu looks stock but there's a hidden "tentacles" menu of goodies :)

Upvote 0
Yeah from what I've read Towelroot will root any phone. It's pretty amazing. Although personally I think root is too dangerous to not have a custom recovery. I boot looped my S3 the day I rooted it lol. Nothing a nandroid backup couldn't fix though. ;)

Did not know you couldnt use a custom recovery with it just read more about it. Thanks for heads up. imwith you i flash somany custom roms and tweak with all of them id brick device easy with out nandroid.

I'm great mate, you. Been spending a lot of time on g+ chatting about my new interest "vaping" and testing roms.
I have a test build of OctOs for my Nexus 7 I'm gonna flash that tonight, it's very rough still but I've been waiting ages for them to build for one of my devices.
They build directly from Android repos, no CM or Slim in there.
Their settings menu looks stock but there's a hidden "tentacles" menu of goodies :)

Thats cool. I love romming it up!!! I just rerooted daughters nook from rooted stock gb to carbon 4.3. for fun last week. I so need a new device to play with.
icon12.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones