• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Live Scores

I'm handing the widget off to the other Live Scores developer (yeah only two of us haha - was just me for so long so can't complain). We we're just chatting about implementation and we're thinking maybe allowing multiple 1x2 widgets where you can assign one of your favorite teams to the widget.

That would be pretty sweet to have the ability for individual team widgets. Would be great exposure for the app too because everybody will be like "WOW Where did you get that Ohio State widget?!"

Upvote 0
Howdy, I'm the new dev on Live Scores that Aaron mentioned.

I'm new to Android stuff, but am stoked to be working on it. I've been using Live Scores for a while now, so it's cool to be working on it.

So widgets are the next thing I'll be working on.

I'll swing by this forum as often as a I can and see what's up. In the mean time - off to write some code.

and....

GO GIANTS!
(we work 3 blocks from AT&T park)

-Jason

Upvote 0
Thanks Aaron i will definitely try it out in that case . You have the main 4 leagues covered so thats a start . It would be handy if one day you could add in the English Lower leagues too . Very useful for my saturday afternoon accumulator at the bookies !

Cool, come back and let us know what you think.

I'd definitely like to get as many leagues into the app as possible - its mostly a matter of time and getting my hands on the data to support those leagues.

Upvote 0
Howdy, I'm the new dev on Live Scores that Aaron mentioned.

I'm new to Android stuff, but am stoked to be working on it. I've been using Live Scores for a while now, so it's cool to be working on it.

So widgets are the next thing I'll be working on.

I'll swing by this forum as often as a I can and see what's up. In the mean time - off to write some code.

and....

GO GIANTS!
(we work 3 blocks from AT&T park)

-Jason

Glad to have you! Having dev's posting and getting feedback/giving updates is fantastic!

Upvote 0
I think I see a bug with the new notification options.

I set the Knicks basketball game to start of game/end of game/each quarter updates.

At the end of the quarters, I got a notification, but then a couple of minutes later, I got another notification at the start of the next quarter. I don't think I should be getting start of quarter notification, just ends.

Anyone else see the same and agree?

Upvote 0
I think I see a bug with the new notification options.

I set the Knicks basketball game to start of game/end of game/each quarter updates.

At the end of the quarters, I got a notification, but then a couple of minutes later, I got another notification at the start of the next quarter. I don't think I should be getting start of quarter notification, just ends.

Anyone else see the same and agree?

End of the 4th qtr probably marks the end of the game... Hmmm definitely a confusing usability issue.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Upvote 0
End of the 4th qtr probably marks the end of the game... Hmmm definitely a confusing usability issue.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Don't really if it happened at end of game. But obviously, you shouldn't do an end of qtr at the end of game unless it's going into OT.

But, definitely got the double updates at end of 1st and 3rd quarters. Sure of that.

Upvote 0
I'll start out by saying this thread is excellent, having a developer around the place, answering questions and listening to suggestions is such an amazing thing, you should be thoroughly congratulated on your achievement so far :)

Having said that, there are a couple of things that are stopping me from exclusively using Live Scores as my sports app.

1) Football (Soccer), I fully appreciate that compared to almost all the other sports in the app, football is so much bigger (in terms of the number of total teams, competitions, games played per week, that sort of thing) but adding International games/Qualifiers, English Championship, Champions League, Europia League etc would be totally amazing.

2) The ability to remove sports that you're not interested in, im going to use another app as an example, ESPN ScoreCenter, in the settings of the app you can choose what sports (and within that, what leagues) you want to be displayed and remove anything you don't want to see. Me for example, im not a fan of MLB, NHL or the NCAA so removing these from the screen to make it less "cluttered" would be a cool feature.

3) Lastly it's just a small niggle but the amount of wasted space, I use the HTC Desire which I think has a pretty high resolution screen for current smartphones and I still have to do an awful lot of scrolling. Will it stop me from using the app? No, at the end of the day usability and productivity come first but it would be nice to have the scores slightly more condensed.

Having said all that, im really liking the app, I love the fact that if im not able to watch the game on TV, im kept completely up to date using the plays tab, i can see the standings for all the different sports, and in the NFL I can see the 'live' field position... things like that are what make using this app enjoyable!

Just my two cents but I do want to congratulate and say thanks to you again

Upvote 0
2) The ability to remove sports that you're not interested in, im going to use another app as an example, ESPN ScoreCenter, in the settings of the app you can choose what sports (and within that, what leagues) you want to be displayed and remove anything you don't want to see. Me for example, im not a fan of MLB, NHL or the NCAA so removing these from the screen to make it less "cluttered" would be a cool feature.

Agree, I am a bit of a neat freak so I like to reduce clutter whenever I can :)

I don't know if this has been covered, but would it be possible to have "Favorite Teams" as the default startup screen?

This would be a great default screen, all of your favorite teams listed and their overall record or standings maybe?

I wish all developers did this. Aaron by using this thread you are definitely going to end up with the BEST sports app on Android, and thank you for all the great work you are doing on this app!

Upvote 0
I'm handing the widget off to the other Live Scores developer (yeah only two of us haha - was just me for so long so can't complain). We we're just chatting about implementation and we're thinking maybe allowing multiple 1x2 widgets where you can assign one of your favorite teams to the widget.

1x2 widgets would be cool.

however, for someone who likes to keep the screen condensed without widgets laying all over, how bout a 1x4 sized widget that can scroll through ALL of the user's favorite teams. (kinda like sportstap, which is the ONLY thing i liked about sportstap and will never go back to after seeing whats going on here)

Upvote 0

however, for someone who likes to keep the screen condensed without widgets laying all over, how bout a 1x4 sized widget that can scroll through ALL of the user's favorite teams. (kinda like sportstap, which is the ONLY thing i liked about sportstap and will never go back to after seeing whats going on here)
Agree.

I ditched sportstap for live scores too, but I did really like how they did their widget.

They are also completely on the other end of the spectrum as far as support. Completely ignored my many support emails.

So nice to have direct access to the devs working on this. It's really an advantage both ways. This is on it's way to being a top android app.

Upvote 0
Agree.

I ditched sportstap for live scores too, but I did really like how they did their widget.

They are also completely on the other end of the spectrum as far as support. Completely ignored my many support emails.

So nice to have direct access to the devs working on this. It's really an advantage both ways. This is on it's way to being a top android app.

yuppp. same here. plus im pretty sure theyre updates are just for the sake of updating. theyre alerts suck, coming in about 10 minutes late. anyways yea, i agree. as long as these guys keep on keeping on, this app will very very soon be atop. im very very pleased with the amount of interaction. nothing gets you more confident then knowing your voice is being heard.

To my friends at live scores... KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK GUYS!! ill be sure to check back here every once in a while letting you know how the updates are performing.

Upvote 0
hi,
can we get english football scores on this ?

You can get the Premier League from England (La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga are the others) but I noticed yesterday when I was using the app that there weren't any "game details" for any of the games no text commentary, goal scorers etc, I just got "STARTED", "HALF-TIME" and "END" in big red text haha

Though I had alerts off, if alerts were on you might get the goalscorer?

Upvote 0
I'll start out by saying this thread is excellent, having a developer around the place, answering questions and listening to suggestions is such an amazing thing, you should be thoroughly congratulated on your achievement so far :)

Having said that, there are a couple of things that are stopping me from exclusively using Live Scores as my sports app.

1) Football (Soccer), I fully appreciate that compared to almost all the other sports in the app, football is so much bigger (in terms of the number of total teams, competitions, games played per week, that sort of thing) but adding International games/Qualifiers, English Championship, Champions League, Europia League etc would be totally amazing.

3) Lastly it's just a small niggle but the amount of wasted space, I use the HTC Desire which I think has a pretty high resolution screen for current smartphones and I still have to do an awful lot of scrolling. Will it stop me from using the app? No, at the end of the day usability and productivity come first but it would be nice to have the scores slightly more condensed.

Having said all that, im really liking the app, I love the fact that if im not able to watch the game on TV, im kept completely up to date using the plays tab, i can see the standings for all the different sports, and in the NFL I can see the 'live' field position... things like that are what make using this app enjoyable!

Just my two cents but I do want to congratulate and say thanks to you again

Thanks I really appreciate the input.

Removing sports from the sport-menu isn't a bad idea, especially since that list is only going to get bigger.

As far as the wastes space, I've heard this a lot - we're going to be doing some restyling over the next couple releases that should improve this quite a bit.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this has been covered, but would it be possible to have "Favorite Teams" as the default startup screen?

Great job on the app. Thank you for the great contribution and communication. I just trashed my ESPN & SportsTap apps.

Do you mean like a scores view that shows scores for your favorite teams?
We're going to be including a widget in the next release which should allow you to see your favorite teams and their scores.

Upvote 0

That was my first thought also, but we decided that a couple well placed 1x2s would be easier to see at a glance and also much easier to develop. We talked about maybe including a 1x4 with some scroll buttons in a later release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones