Android lock screen + Sense alarm = fail

Last Updated:

1. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I decided to rename HtcLockscreen.*, which effectively disables the Sense lock screen, and the phone defaults to the Android lock screen, which IMO looks a lot better and provides more function and information.

This morning, I discovered the downside of doing so. I had no way to shut of my morning alarm, which is set with the Sense clock app/widget. Normally, the alarm app communicates with the lock screen to give me an option to snooze/dismiss via the lock screen. But evidently, the alarm doesn't know how to communicate with the android lock screen.

So the only way I could figure out how to silence the phone was to power it down. I ended up downloading an alarm clock app, and I'm now using that instead of the Sense alarm. Everything is good again.

I was just wondering if anyone had a more elegant solution to this problem. I will not consider lockscreen apps like WidgetLocker.

Advertisement
  2. novox77

So I just discovered yet another problem. When I receive a call when the screen is off, I have to clear the Android lock screen before I can answer the call.

So it looks like I'll be putting the HTC lock screen back in place. Sense was not designed to be modular, so it's all or nothing.

3. Shadax

Shadax Well-Known Member

I had an issue with not being able to snooze/dismiss the alarm clock and I ended up downloading Vanilla Clock from the Fresh Updater which solved the problem.

Not sure if that's related but it's all I got.

4. novox77

Yeah, that might fix the clock issue. But then it looks like i have to replace the Sense dialer with the stock android one. I could chase this down forever until I've eliminated sense completely. Not worth it. I think it has to be all or nothing. And I've tried ROMs without Sense and decided that I still preferred to have Sense. So I'll live with the stock lock screen.

5. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

i love the 'good morning' app from the market for my alarm. check it out, its very customizable, active developer too

6. lite blue

lite blue Well-Known Member

just curious as I wanted a new lock screen, what is wrong or rather the trouble with lock screen apps?

7. novox77

They aren't true lock screens. As such, there are ways to circumvent them and therefore defeats the main reason for having them. This is assuming you care about locking your phone. If you don't have any locking mechanism set up, then it really doesn't matter.

These apps also suffer from some of the same issues I encountered in this thread. I've had issues of being unable to shut off my alarm or answer a call. These other components of your phone need to communicate with whatever lock screen you choose.

That said, you should feel free to try out any/all lock screen apps out there. If it does not interfere with how you require your phone to work, then there's no problem.