Android Market - Currency fees make it pointless...

Last Updated:

1. johnpeat

johnpeat Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who can't effectively buy apps/games from the Market due to the stupidity of pricing them in multiple currencies??

I'm in the UK but I'm sure it affects other places too - if I buy an App/Game which is priced in any currency but my own (e.g. EUs or Dollars in my case) I'll pay a small commission (fair enough) and a LARGE fee on every transaction. The lack of a shopping basket means I'll pay that fee on EVERY purchase too - e.g. I'm not going to be buying much.

The fee in my case is UKP

Advertisement
  2. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

I'm in the U.S. and purchased an Android app from the Market listed at

3. jonathonpm

jonathonpm New Member

Google needs to get this sorted out. There is no point buying an app at €1 which receives a

4. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

Is it google or your bank?
    I suspect your financial institution.
    My situation was the same as DaWeav's - a $6.18 purchase was $6.30 total.

5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I also think this is your bank. The only app I ever purchased with a foregin currency let me know how much that equates in USD. I actually wasn't charged a premium at all for the transaction.

6. AstralZero

AstralZero Well-Known Member

Definitely the bank that's charging. Unfortunately most UK banks charge this fee. My bank charges

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Not really a Google problem as much as it is a bank problem. I've had a $1 fee from Wells Fargo due to international purchases before. Of course, that might be because I used a debit account, rather than credit. With that said, since I'm from the US, I have no idea what banks do and don't do this in the UK.

8. qwer

qwer Well-Known Member

I'm not paying any extra fees with my debit card. I live in eurozone and have bought apps priced in €, $ and

9. Aaronneyer

Aaronneyer Well-Known Member

10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Fees are pretty small from my US bank. Be careful assuming trends based on a single data point. If you don't like the fees then talk your bank about it.

11. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I got a fee on some ebooks from Google. The amount was in USD, but apparently the books were from Australia. I saw nothing about a fee. How are you supposed to tell?

12. AstralZero

AstralZero Well-Known Member

Thats part of the problem. I didn't find out about this until I got my bank statement - just after I got my first Android phone. Coming from iOS where this isn't an issue, I went crazy and got lots of apps for my shiny new Android phone. Had a bit of a shock when I looked at my bank statement after I'd been charged

13. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

14. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

Just been reading this thread. Another disgruntled UK market here experiencing the same annoying fee. Can we not do something about this? I'm tempted, and am being serious here, to look up that Eric CEO guy of google, and send him a little email :)

15. snakeeyes21

snakeeyes21 Well-Known Member

Yes you can do something about it.. get with a decent bank that doesnt charge for international transactions, such as HSBC :)

As has been said it has nothing to do with google, its about how your bank processes the transaction and if they feel like being penny pinching little shites

16. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Larry Page is CEO now I believe.

It's still the banks' fault though. I would imagin living in the UK you guys do a lot of shopping in other countries, I'm a bit surprised honestly that there isnt more competition for lower fees there.

I may lower my price for UK a bit because of this though. It's certainly interesting to hear -- not something I knew about.

17. JimmyRay

JimmyRay New Member

I'm another UK consumer who just got hit by this bull....

I think it's disgusting, prices are in GBP and don't mention you're buying from abroad. I've been buying from the web for years, no other company has made my bank charge me overseas transaction.

I've recently bought my first android tablet and started to learn to develop for android. I got charged

18. vcarvega

vcarvega Member

It must be your financial institution. I live in the U.S. and have purchased several apps from oversees... I have never paid more than was advertised. So I'm not familiar with the problem you are describing.

19. vcarvega

vcarvega Member

20. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I think it's entirely Google's fault. May be they should look at what Apple does and have a local Market for each country it operates in, with everything priced in local currency. Then no one is charged for currency exchanges by the banks and everyone is happy.

21. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Well Google operates in Europe, they have domains and offices there. It might be a US corporation, but then so is Apple and Microsoft.

Apple solved the problem right from start with it's iTunes Store business, and have never had 'international banking' problems and customers getting charged for international currency transactions.

I was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago, and nothing in the Android Market was priced in HK$, it was all USD, Stirling and Euros. Basically a mess.

So anyone with a HK bank account which charges for currency exchange would certainly lose out big time here. Apple seems to have no problems with pricing everything in HK$ there, why can't Google? :confused:

22. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Here's another major difference between how Google and Apple operate their respective app stores, which certainly affects me.

I am British with a UK bank account and UK credit card, as well as a Chinese bank account and debit card. With the iTunes Store I can select whatever country is appropriate for me. Which means I can buy from the UK iTunes Store all priced in Stirling, with my UK credit card, even though I'm in China, and not be charged at all.

On the other hand Google Market and Google Checkout are completely useless in the PRC. I can't buy anything from the Market, only free apps, and no way to fix it. Except maybe use a UK proxy, to fool Google that I'm in the UK.

23. Archphoto

Archphoto Well-Known Member

Couldn't Google implement a similar system to Amazon?

If I buy through them I can charge in AUS - with a rate slightly more favourable to them (as I use an AU CC) or remain at the USD price and take my chances on currency conversion & fees when charged to the card.

Can't be that hard to implement, can it??