Android market download blocked at "Starting Download" for any application/gameSupport

Last Updated:

1. Wickam

Wickam New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

Bought some days ago my Tattoo with Android, it works perfectly, Music, email, Facebook, weather etc... but not Android Market, which stucks at Startind Download for any application / game...

How to solve this ?

Another question, since i do not have a wifi connection at home, is there any noobproof guide on how to install applications via PC and USB Cable ?

Thanks a lot :eek:

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Have you disabled/stopped any application processes?

3. Wickam

Wickam New Member This Topic's Starter

Well and how to "stop" a process ?
    I still dont know how to "close" an app like I had to do on Symbian since there is no "Task manager"

But well, I tried so many times rebooting phone etc that cant be that

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I guess the answer is no then!

I know the market had some issues with this before, I suffered from it for a few days last week but I thought the problems had been solved.

One of the problems seemed to be with people stopping the google voice app (for some reason) so thats why I asked. I can only suggest opening the google voice app, and trying again.

On as side note check out my thread here, has some suggestions for apps for new android users. There are a number of task manager apps available on the market too, suck as task panel (my favourite) and task killer.

5. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

I'm getting this problem too now out of the blue.

Any body got any ideas what the cause is? Have tried re-starting, taking the battery out etc. as mentioned, and it was working fine on Friday??

Everything else email/web etc. seems to be okay.

It's a Hero handset

6. xmastree

xmastree Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with my Magic. Performing a hard reset cures it, but it's not an ideal solution as it's likely to lock up again. Appbrain helps to restore the phone after a reset, saves looking for all the apps again.

7. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

A hard reset'll lose all my data on the phone won't it?

8. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications, open Market and clear the cache. Then open Market Updater and clear the cache and data.

Should fix it for you.

mpw likes this.
  9. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Okay did that;

Where should Market Updater be located? should it be in the same 'Settings > Applications > Manage applications' menu, 'cause I don't see it?

Also, I've now realised that although my hTC mail notifier is working, my Gmail mail app isn't, I have to manually refresh.

I'm assuming these issues are linked, anybody want to suggest what I should check, and where, settings-wise? I haven't knowingly made any changes.

10. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Check your filter settings, and select All. Updater should show directly under Market.

However it sounds like you might be having a different problem if your Gmail isn't syncing. Try opening Gtalk and see if that fixes it.

mpw likes this.
  11. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Filter is set to all, but I see no Market Updater at all
    'Market
    Media Storage
    Media Uploader'

??

Could not connect to server...

But, could changing my account from mpw@googlemail.com to mpw@gmail.com be the problem I wonder? and if so, I guess there's a lot of UK gmail users going to have the same issue??

I did this on prompting when logging in from a PC over the weekend, didn't click because I didn't change anything on the handset!

Where do I amend my gmail/googlemail account info in Android? or will I need to reset?

12. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Just changed my @gmail.com back to @googlemail.com and phone instantly started updating.

Thanks for the help anyway.

13. mancjon

mancjon New Member

The problem is your google account, try switching to or from googlemmail.com to gmail.com on a pc. Then factory reset your phone. Then set up google account on the handset again with new account address, this should fix problem. This had me puzzled for ages and there is absolutely no help from google. Poor show google.

14. Berilon

Berilon Member

I can not change to gmail since im in the US but still have the issue

15. oldnick

oldnick Well-Known Member

Android Market stalls at 'starting download' - apprears to be Google account related not phone?

All worked last week. Don't think I changed anything on my phone (Desire 2.1). Really don't see why users should have to do a hard reset! That's a stock response with lots of work and dangers involved.

How do we log this with Google??

16. tomekay

tomekay New Member

Same is happening to me.....NOT HAPPY:mad:

I thought a reset might have done the trick but I now have a smart phone that is being a bit thick!!!!!

All my apps are sitting in my downloads but I cant install them

Will try the googlemail/gmail switcheroo this evening to see if this works

17. retrorom

retrorom Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, but only on the mobile network. At home on wifi it's no problem... It sucks though

18. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Two possible reasons. Your mobile internet is simply far too slow (in regards to connecting to the Google server), or your service provider has seen it fit to block the Android market to help save bandwidth.

19. jlchandl

jlchandl New Member

I had this same problem, i cleared the cache, can't switch to googlemail.com, uninstalled app i don't use, etc, etc.

I finally got something to work!

I went into settings>applications>>manage apps
    Went to Market

Unistalled Updates in the Market App

Once i did that, i was update to update and download without a problem.

Hope that helps.

20. silow

silow New Member

I recently restored my factory and to my shock market is not downloadin when using wifi ..also. says. Memory full,

21. ShahrukhDX

ShahrukhDX New Member

22. yasermaroof

yasermaroof New Member

I was having problem in downloading anything from Android Market, it was showing "Starting Download" but no progress, I restored to factory settings several times then I created couple of new gmail accounts but didn't solved.

SOLUTION:

Then I tried to connect to different Wifi in different place and it worked.
    So, i think the problem was that the wifi was restricted to open GTALK and thats why Market couldn't download anything.

Good Luck...