• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android market for foreigners

TheSpork

May 24, 2010
Norway
I'm living inn a country where Google haven't released the paid apps yet, and as far as I can find, they're not in a rush either..

In a few weeks, I'm going to England for a few days, and I'm wondering if there's a way for me to get some paid apps while I'm there.

Will it work if I buy a british SIM-card and top it up with some cash?
If so, can I pay using my credits (top up-cards), or do I have to use a credit card?
And will that work even if my credit card isn't British (or another market-enabled country)?
If that works, will I be able to buy apps back home with the British SIM-card after leaving England?

Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if this will work?

I'm starting to regret buying an Android phone, even though I only use Linux on all pcs at home.. So now I'm trying to find ways to make my phone experience as good as possible (with some paid apps)..

All I can tell you is that when I took my European Android phone to the U.S. and put in an American SIM (borrowed) I was able to access apps that were not previously available. It is my understanding that the App store is more tied to the SIM card than anything. So - when you are in the U.K. and get a SIM card, bring it back home with you. Then you can put it in your phone and probably access paid apps over Wifi.

Of course, that is a guess.

Reactions: TheSpork
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones