1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Android market for foreigners

Last Updated:

1. TheSpork

TheSpork Member This Topic's Starter

I'm living inn a country where Google haven't released the paid apps yet, and as far as I can find, they're not in a rush either..

In a few weeks, I'm going to England for a few days, and I'm wondering if there's a way for me to get some paid apps while I'm there.

Will it work if I buy a british SIM-card and top it up with some cash?
    If so, can I pay using my credits (top up-cards), or do I have to use a credit card?
    And will that work even if my credit card isn't British (or another market-enabled country)?
    If that works, will I be able to buy apps back home with the British SIM-card after leaving England?

Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if this will work?

I'm starting to regret buying an Android phone, even though I only use Linux on all pcs at home.. So now I'm trying to find ways to make my phone experience as good as possible (with some paid apps)..

Advertisement
  2. clobber

clobber Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that when I took my European Android phone to the U.S. and put in an American SIM (borrowed) I was able to access apps that were not previously available. It is my understanding that the App store is more tied to the SIM card than anything. So - when you are in the U.K. and get a SIM card, bring it back home with you. Then you can put it in your phone and probably access paid apps over Wifi.

Of course, that is a guess.

TheSpork likes this.
  3. TheSpork

Sounds like this might work.. I will bring my phone to the UK, so I'll try to connect using a pay as you go plan. If I'm lucky it will work in the UK, but if I'm even luckier it will work back home to!

Thanks for your reply!

4. clobber

clobber Well-Known Member

I've had pretty good luck with Orange for pay as you go in the U.K. The SIM card is like 5 pounds and they have an "Extra" you can purchase. For 1 pound you get all the Internet access you want until midnight.

For comparison of U.K. PAYG data plans check here

TheSpork likes this.
  5. TheSpork

That's great!! Thank you for your help.. Now I know there's a chance! ;)

6. gnur

gnur Active Member

If your device is rooted, you can also use Market Enabler, which allows you to fake your location/provider to one that does allow paid apps!

7. TheSpork

Yeah.. I've read about Market Enabler, but I want to wait a little before I root the phone.. It's pretty new, so I just want to know it works before I void my warranty! ;)

8. ih77

ih77 Member

I can confirm you just need to pick up a prepaid sim in the UK and that's it. No need to load any credit. Just use the sim in your phone when back home and download paid apps, over wifi, until your heart is content!

TheSpork likes this.
  9. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Hey Spork,
    where does one get hold of Market Enabler? It's not like it's accessible through the Market! :p

I've got an old Austrian sim card headed my way in the mail, but it would be so much more handy to not have to take out the battery, reboot, etc.

10. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

market-enabler - Project Hosting on Google Code

KlaymenDK likes this.
  11. TheSpork

Now I'm back from the UK with a O2-SIM card, and I can confirm that it works!! It's a pay as you go card, and no problems what so ever!! (Except for the "authorizing your credit card-bug, but it stopped after 30mins or so...)