Android Market - free apps blocked?Support

Last Updated:

1. MiniDroid

MiniDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry, some rant from my side in the night.

Ok, I'm in a country without access to the Market. (the paid apps that is)
    But why can't I see most of the free apps that I find on the net?

Like this one?
    Firedroid.net

The barcode gives the same error as the search in the Market app.

I'm not sure why Google won't let everyone in on Market and the paid apps but they shouldn't block the free apps in this way.

I'm not a fan of Apple's app store either but it "just works" - and that should be Google's no.1 priority too.
    (If they want a marketplace at all....now it doesn't look like it)

Advertisement
  2. Harreem

Harreem Member

Weird.. I can't get access to that app at all. I scanned the QR code, and the market apparently 'could not find it'.

I get that often with a few apps I find online, I have no idea why.

3. badassballer

badassballer Well-Known Member

Yea google has been weird when it comes to this market thing - i mean Apple at times does similar things but then again the way google handles its market is very different from Apple - But the major difference between Apple / Google etc is that Apple has its own phones that carry its OS and which are the same all over but android is released on different phones and has been given over to other companies - and at times i guess some apps work on some phones and not on other phones etc - but yea overall - it is weird why some apps are available in some places and not others and then this whole issue of how market is completely missing from some regions is also weird - android 2.2 has been released and one would've thought that issues of this sort would've been resolved to a very large extent by now -

I also don't have access to paid apps at the moment but i am fine with that because i'd not like to pay for the stuff i use!

4. MiniDroid

MiniDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Google's Android is in 3-4 different releases (1.5, 1.6, 2.1 and 2.2) "out there" on several phones with different screen resolution from different hardware vendors with their own "touch of style" added (i.e. htc's sense and our own SE what ever it's called).

Apple has 1 screen resolution (I think?) and 1 OS version (always the latest pushed and older ones not supportet - "end of discussion" from Apple's side) And you could argue that they have only one hardware to support too (always the latest, dissing the older ones).

So yes, there are some big differences.

Still, to put a app-store up, like Market should be easy.
    Apps only needs to be more specific about what OS they need (thus should run ok on newer versions of android). Then state the minium required screen resolution (to fit all gfx elements the apps gui needs) and ofcource "scale" upwards for phones with larger screens.
    You could also add a second revision of apps with only adjusted gui for other screen resolutions, if scaling doesn't look good enough.

The, all google needs to do is sort them in categories (games, tools, what-not) and free/paid.

Or am I totaly lost here?

5. badassballer

badassballer Well-Known Member

@MiniDroid

Your not lost - It all makes sense - i was trying to say the same thing but as usual i was extremely vague but you've explained it better by detailing the technical specificities etc as well -