• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android market problem, application hold on starting download

I cant even start the market app..it just starts and show "loading..." on the screen then it shuts down, just goes back to home screen...
I installed newer version, but when I start it, it asks for authentication, and sign in to google account, I'm already signed in and can use my g-mail and talk...but market wont start...
can any one help??

Upvote 0
well... I'm stuck in the same place... after searching a lot I have discovered 2 things
1) it's a common problem affecting thousands of people, and has been for 2 years
2) google doesn't care

The fixes I have found listed are:
- sign in to google talk (I can't it just force-closes the app)
- clear the cache on various applications (doesn't help)
- roll-back the update to the market app (doesn't help)
- switch to "2g only" mode (there is no 2g coverage for TELUS phones in Canada)
- switch to wifi (doesn't help)
- toggle airplane mode (doesn't help)
- reboot phone (doesn't help)
- change google account password (doesn't help)
- switch to googlemail instead of gmail (google doesn't give me the option)
- factory reset phone (every single person who has reported trying this has been left with a wiped phone and the problem still there, so I won't risk my apps for this)

Anyone have a solution NOT on the list?

Hi, I too am having market app update or download problems. It says download, but nothing happens. I have tried some of the above remedies to the best of my ability, but others not tried are over my head to do. I have a 3G My Touch, T Mobile phone. It is an HTC Magic I think. T Mobile could not help.
I've signed out of Google talk, the next time I look at it, I'm signed in again, so that must happen automatically.
I've powered the phone off and on, Taken the battery out and reinstalled.
I've unmounted the SD card and taken it out. There are no directions to remount it, I just put it back in the phone. I've not Formatted the SD Card as it says it will erase everything.
I've not done a factory reset on the phone, as I am rooted and my WiFi running my computer comes from my phone, I bought the phone like that am afraid to loose that feature if a do a factory reset. My WiFi is not secure. I don't want to loose all other things that might be lost with a factory reset.
I have plenty MB and gig available.
I've uninstalled some apps giving more space for more apps if needed, that did not help.
I've deleted some contacts, even though I've not gotten a warning about having too many.
App downloads and updates worked fine till about a week ago. Don't know what I've done to cause this problem.
I've lost my anti virus protection as I was trying to update it, one of the suggestions was cancel downloads when logging out of Google talk and then starting them over. When I cancelled that update the app was erased.
I hope someone out there can help with this problem and maybe walk me through some of the remedies suggested that I was not able to do as they were over my head.
Have a great day and thank you ahead of time if anyone can help.

Upvote 0
well... I'm stuck in the same place... after searching a lot I have discovered 2 things
1) it's a common problem affecting thousands of people, and has been for 2 years
2) google doesn't care

The fixes I have found listed are:
- sign in to google talk (I can't it just force-closes the app)
- clear the cache on various applications (doesn't help)
- roll-back the update to the market app (doesn't help)
- switch to "2g only" mode (there is no 2g coverage for TELUS phones in Canada)
- switch to wifi (doesn't help)
- toggle airplane mode (doesn't help)
- reboot phone (doesn't help)
- change google account password (doesn't help)
- switch to googlemail instead of gmail (google doesn't give me the option)
- factory reset phone (every single person who has reported trying this has been left with a wiped phone and the problem still there, so I won't risk my apps for this)

Anyone have a solution NOT on the list?

I have had this problem before but I cant remember the file that caused it....i had to install original apk files as the ones i had seemed corrupted. Possibly the marketupdater.apk or vending.apk. If you can get the original copies off the net and overwrite exisiting ones on phone.

Reactions: jasneskis
Upvote 0
I don't know how to do this....
roll-back the update to the market app (doesn't help)
Can you help, I'll try it.
Found on U Tube some ideas:
Menu, settings, applications, manage applications, filter (bottom button),running, download manager, clear data, force stop,(scroll down).
It hasn't worked for me as my data wouldn't clear and it would not force close. Others on the site say it worked.

Upvote 0
I cant even start the market app..it just starts and show "loading..." on the screen then it shuts down, just goes back to home screen...
I installed newer version, but when I start it, it asks for authentication, and sign in to google account, I'm already signed in and can use my g-mail and talk...but market wont start...
can any one help??
I have the same issue. Was working fine for the last several months, then suddenly a week or so ago, the market app just stopped opening. When I restart my phone, it will check for updates, and I can use the shortcut to access my apps and update them, but when I exit that and try to get back into the market, it crashes at startup all over again.

I've tried clearing data on the market app and a few other apps, hasn't helped. Unwilling to do a factory reset, so either I get it fixed somehow or I'll be abandoning this phone when the 2 year contract is up. Shame, too, HTC EVO 4G and it worked great for a long time, but have had a few instances of bugginess ever since Gingerbread 2.0 updated. HTC has really turned me off, won't be buying another one of their phones...

Reactions: jasneskis
Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Was working fine for the last several months, then suddenly a week or so ago, the market app just stopped opening. When I restart my phone, it will check for updates, and I can use the shortcut to access my apps and update them, but when I exit that and try to get back into the market, it crashes at startup all over again.

I've tried clearing data on the market app and a few other apps, hasn't helped. Unwilling to do a factory reset, so either I get it fixed somehow or I'll be abandoning this phone when the 2 year contract is up. Shame, too, HTC EVO 4G and it worked great for a long time, but have had a few instances of bugginess ever since Gingerbread 2.0 updated. HTC has really turned me off, won't be buying another one of their phones...

I can't download anything, so I'm not trying. I think the market problem is google android not the brand name of the phone. It may make me want to switch to an i phone and forget the android.

Upvote 0
I can't download anything, so I'm not trying. I think the market problem is google android not the brand name of the phone. It may make me want to switch to an i phone and forget the android.
I just wish I saw more evidence of others with the same problem. I keep trying to remember what I was doing between the time it was working, and when it first started failing, to see if I did something that caused it. If it was a major network issue, I would think many others would have the problem. Like when Gingerbread was updated and thousands were ticked off by glitches and failures (that might have been mostly an EVO thing, not sure).

But this problem that we're having, I don't see too many people experiencing it. What the heck?

Upvote 0
Hello,

i changed my Router from Asus to Draytek Vigor 2900V. Since them, i am not be able to download from Marktet (all other Internet things works quite fine).

1. Two different Android Devices (Motorola Zoom and Huawei X3).
2. Both devices with an other Google Account.
3. Two different internet connections.
4. Three differen router

Both devices work fine on two of three router and both internet connections. Both devices on both connections have problems with the Vigor 2900V.

I hope to solve the problem... and then i post it.

If someone has a resultion for this: Give it to me... fast ;)

smi

Upvote 0
I have a number of apps stalling on the download; tried clearing the cache, rebooting, no dice - also, some updates went ahead fine so pretty sure it wasn't a network issue.

I found an annoying workaround that enabled me to do the stalled ones individually:

1. Go to Market - My Apps to see the stalled downloads.
2. Click on one to get to the details screen
3. You will see a greyed out "Downloading" button and a "Cancel" button
4. Click the "Cancel" button. Now, one of two things will happen:

5a: The cancel will work and the "Downloading" button will change to the "Update" button, and you can go ahead as normal with a manual update.

5b: The cancel will appear not to work - the "Downloading" button will remain the same however many times you click "Cancel". In this case:
5b.1: Hit the phone's "Home" button to close the Market.
5b.2: Open the Market again. You should return to the app details screen but now you should see the "Update" button rather than the "Downloading" button and you can proceed with a manual update as normal.

I have just done all my outstanding updates like that, hopefully will help someone else who the other tips don't work for!

EDIT: It seems to be Google's own apps that you need to do 5b for, at least with the issue I had.

Upvote 0
I have problem with Android Market / Samsung Galaxy S2 for a long time on my home wifi network. I have tried all possibilities including the following:
(1) Open port 5228
(2) Set the phone IP to DMZ
(3) Set phone as vertual server on port 5228

All other internet applications work with no problem on the phone. The Market works fine when connected with 3G. Market works fine when connected to my work wifi network.

The other details: Modem: TP-Link 8960N. Telstra ADSL. I have noticed that the hostname of my Galaxy S2 appears as blank on the modem. All other devices show their hostnames. The phone responds ping no problem.

Any relevant suggests would be appreciated. My ideas have all exhausted.

Upvote 0
Guys, I have a Liberty Tab (The Acer's Iconia dressed by Packard Bell), and I solved the issue relatively painlessly.

First I will describe my exact problem and what caused it:
I have noticed that the phenomena of apps "refusing to download" has started after I started to download an app, and then navigated away from the Market app (while hoping that the download will continue). The download of the app has stopped, and I couldn't re-download it, or anything. It just "marked" that app as "uninstallable", and that was the end of it.

How I solved it:
1. I singed out of google talk.
2. I made sure that no apps are running in the background (apart from what is necessary for the proper functioning of the tablet). No email, no youtube, nothing.
3. I cleared the cache and data files of the Market app, and the Download Manager.
4. Then, I rebooted my tab (I mean a proper shut down, not a stand by mode or anything).
5. After turning it back on, and with the operating system running - I singed in to Google Talk.
6. Then I launched the Market app (I had to sign in again to the market, as the data files were cleared), and was able to download without any problem.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I have a HTC Desire. The Market app v1.8 (the original that came with my device) works fine with wifi downloads, however when it automatically upgrades it to 3.4.4, it does not work, gets stuck when starting to download. The problem also occurs with other Market versions such as 2.5, etc. If I remove the update, go back to the initial Market v1.8, it works just fine. I wonder what the difference is between these versions. Any ideas??

Upvote 0
Hi I was having the same problem on htc sensation.
I stopped the downloads then went to market place via the phone app.
when i started the "new" download this way , they removed the old apps (google maps, adobe flashplayer 11 and soundhound) and downloaded and installed the new versions with no problems.
Hope this helps .:)
This totally worked for me on the HTC Desire, and required no fancy understanding of anything.

I had been able to update some apps, but not Facebook, Maps or Flash Player. I did just what patsyc said: Cancelled the download, went back to the Marketplace, selected the app again (it was at the top of the list) and clicked Update. I had to click OK to two things - maybe that's where they got hung up before, not having the OK and not being able to issue the prompts for some reason. All three of them updated in under a minute.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones