• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Market without Data Plan?

Sevalecan

Lurker
Sep 24, 2011
So, I'd been waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S wifi 5.0 to be release here in the U.S. It never was. And I'm curious as to whether I could get an android phone and use it the same way without having any sort of plan with a phone carrier. My main concern is whether I'd be able to access the android market OK over Wi-Fi.

I understand that some GPS apps need a constant connection to download maps as you're going along, but I guess some of them actually allow you to download it before hand.

1. Yes you can use a phone without data plans. Just remember to turn off packet data to disable network internet connection and background sync to save battery

2. Yes you can access market via WiFi on phones. I have a friend with a Galaxy S who doesnt use network data just WiFi

3. Some do allow you downloaded maps, like Locus and WisePilot. You'd have to buy the apps first though.

Upvote 0
Sweet. Just what I needed to know. I had been waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0 to arrive in the U.S., which was supposed to have been last spring. Spring and summer have both come and gone, and all we've gotten is a few units released through woot (which I missed out on). But maybe I'll start looking into a phone instead now that I know everything should work without a plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones