android memory ??Support

Last Updated:

1. bjs1978

bjs1978 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I am brand new to the android world. I just got an LG Ally. I am wondering how the memory works whenever you install an app. I have noticed that it goes onto the phone's internal memory. When i take a picture or video that gets saved onto the SD card. I dont have many apps and it seems like the internal memory is already starting to fill up. What happens when this happens? Will it rollover to the '" card or will i just get a "memory full" kind of message? I would rather have more memory for apps than for pics and videoany info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!s.

Advertisement
  2. crashxj700

crashxj700 Member

I am new to this phone also. From what I understand all your apps go on internal memory. The only way to change this is to root your phone or just wait for 2.2 to come out.

3. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member

Internal memory is where apps are installed and SD card is where the data is stored. It's similar to hard drive in the PC split to two partitions, one for programs and other for data, or program folder and my documents folder. In case of android phone, it's physically separated flash memories. I think it's better to call this as storage than memory as it could be confusing with RAM memory.

In Ally, the internal storage memory is about 104Mb, pretty small and pre-installed micro SD is 4Gb. Once the internal storage is filled up with apps, there is no more space to install more apps. But existing apps, data will be working fine. Currently Ally is running on android OS 2.1. The long awaited 2.2 would allow installing apps in micro SD and help with speed. But no one knows if or when it will come to Ally.

murrayk likes this.
  4. bjs1978

bjs1978 Member This Topic's Starter

I see. Well that stinks. I hope 2.2 comes to Ally being that i just got this phone. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

5. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

If you root the phone, uninstall some of the preinstalled bloatware and move a few apps from /data storage to /system storage, you can free up a bit more internal memory. I currently have quite a few apps (two custom launchers, a golf gps program, ROM Manager, the Market update and a handful of smaller productivity apps) installed into internal memory and still have 122mb left.

murrayk likes this.
  6. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member

I suggest you install Launcher Pro and set it to default home launcher before your internal memory gets full. It will make your Ally a lot snappier than default stock android theme.