Android Messaging App, its all I want.General

Last Updated:

1. dt808

dt808 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is this too much to ask for? I love everything about the incredible, but I just want the native android messaging app. With the green messaging icon and the simple theme it has, I love it.. just like the messaging app on the motorola droid and nexus one.

I've tried a few different messaging apps, but I simply want the original android messaging app. I hate this htc messaging app.

If you know how to do this please let me know, I would really appreciate it. Its my only complaint..

Advertisement
  2. jayhammy

jayhammy Active Member

have you tried google talk?

3. dt808

Yes, I have. But I'm not going to have all my friends switch over to google talk so I can text them.

Google talk is great though, but yes.. thats basically what I want.. but for sms/mmsing..

Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 Well-Known Member

sms unread count in marketplace for the green icon

5. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

Have you tried Handcent set to Android conversation style?

I also prefer the original app over the HTC app, but Handcent set to Android is my favorite.

6. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

What does that do? I already have the unread count with the stock Messaging from my Inc. Does it just add the green icon?

7. dt808

Haha, I already have sms unread count so that I could use the green messaging icon, but I still love the native android 2.1 messaging app.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and yes, I currently am using handcent set to android. Its alright, but not ideal.. might have to live with I guess.

8. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

is there a way to have handcent show the number of unread messages on the icon?

9. dt808

My handcent has always shown the number of unread messages on the icon. I just disabled the notifications for the stock messaging app and enabled it on handcent and everything works fine.

10. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member

Anyone know the setting to get the number of unread messages on the actual handcent icon. I didn't think you could. My handcent is set up to look like the stock android. It's very nice. Although I turned off the auto pop-up.... None of my friends are more important than whatever I need to do or am doing on my phone lol

11. rileyra

rileyra Well-Known Member

ya mine shows them on the icon, of course i get the quick message popup everytime so all my new messages get answered anyways

12. 762x51

762x51 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's possible to extract the APK from another rooted phone and install it on the Inc.......

Anyone know? Isn't this how we have gotten the 3D Gallery APK?

13. pman219

pman219 Well-Known Member

You need to set the handcent widget on your homescreen, but i assume that this will kill having any sort of alternate app icon.

If I am incorrect, someone please tell me, because I like having the count, but hate the handcent icon

14. pman219

pman219 Well-Known Member

Can someone do a screen shot of the stock messaging app ?
    I have no clue what it looks like

15. JulieJHawk

JulieJHawk Active Member

yes, i think this is correct. for the icon on your homescreen, add the widget, not the program.

16. dt808

If you want the stock android 2.1 messaging icon look with the unread message count, download this and place this on your homescreen and set handcent as your default sms program. Then use the green messaging icon to launch.

I still want the original android messaging app though! haha.. damnit

17. Shamrock13

Shamrock13 Well-Known Member

See, I have no idea what it looks like on stock Android to message someone. All I really know is Sense, and I haven't seen anywhere on YouTube what it looks like. All I know is that people love Sense's keyboard over the stock one.

18. dt808

Just youtube a video of the motorola droid or googles nexus one and watch a video with someone texting. You'll see the icon and the entire layout of the messaging app, looks a lot nicer to me than htc's messaging app. Here, skip to 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qy6aGFSLFo
    [​IMG]

pman219 likes this.