• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android (Motorola Photon Q) SD Card Problems

dspiffy

Lurker
Sep 10, 2013
So I've started doing a lot more video. For years I had a 16 gig SD card, it came stock with a Samsung I had several phones ago. I've carried it with me to every subsequent phone, and it worked fine with my Photon Q. It just wasnt big enough for all the video I've been doing lately.

So I did some research online. There seemed to be a disagreement about whether or not the Photon Q played well with 64 gig SD cards. The consensus seemed to be, if you got a SanDisk brand SD card, and formatted it in the phone, the 64 gig cards were fine. If not, all bets were off, and stick to 32 gig or smaller. I wanted as big as possible so I got a SanDisk 64.

Plugged it in, expecting to format it, but it played well right out of the box. I started using it. It worked, and I took several pictures and videos with it in the first few days.

Yesterday I was taking a video that was 35 minutes long. Everything went well, I thought, and I uploaded it to YouTube. On YouTune I discovered only first 3 or 4 minutes of the video played. I went and checked the file on my computer, same thing. I went and checked the file on my phone, my phone wouldnt play it at all. "Sorry, this video cannot be played". I tried to record several subsequent videos, and they all seemed to go well, but when I tried to play them back, "Sorry this video cannot be played". So I recorded a video to my phone storage (instead of the SD card) and it played back fine.

So, I backed up all the videos and pictures off the SD card, and reformatted it. I was once again able to record videos to my SD card, and play them back. I went about my business, and today was a big video day. I recorded several videos. I noticed after recording that of the 14 videos I recorded after reformatting, the most recent 4 gave the same error. "Sorry this video cannot be played". My computer does not recognize them as a valid file at all.

It appears in both cases, the SD card got around 5 gigs full when the it stopped recording video. I'm going to reformat it and try again, but I wouldnt be surprised if the same thing happened: After it gets about 5 gigs full, it will not produce usable files.

Once it stops saving functional videos, I can still take pictures and save them to the SD card and they are fine.

Suggestions? Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones