Android Multitasking as it relates to Task Killers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I just read this article:

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

and it talks about how Android itself handles multitasking. The problem I'm running into is this:

I stopped using Advanced Task Killer because people are saying that it's not healthy for your device, which makes sense to me as it seems like you're using CTRL ALT DELETE to close a program every time, and that just doesn't seem like a good idea. I understand that this isn't windows and it works completely different, but I still stopped using it because it seemed a bit harsh.

After reading the above article I realize that this is how Android itself closes apps, by "brutally killing them" as the article says. If this is how Android itself closes apps when it needs more memory, why are task killers not a good idea?

If somebody could dumb it down for me so I can understand I'd appreciate it, as I'm a total Android n00b. Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Using a task killer implies:
    Task killer developer > Google employed Android creator

Using the device with and without the task killer shows:
    Device without task killer runs smoother and less 'glitchy' than with task killer.

As far as why 1+1=2, you got me there...I just know my phone works much better after removing the task killer I had installed.
    JunBringer likes this.
  3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i agree, they created the OS knowing how to handle multiple apps... you just have to know how to use them too, don't just press the home button when trying to close an app, alot of times pressing the BACK button actually closes an app while pressing home just takes you home with it still running.
    JunBringer likes this.
  4. JunBringer

I'll have to try the BACK button then. Thanks guys!
  5. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Funny when I took my phone back to BB today, they were telling this poor guy that the first thing he should do when he get's home its install ATK. LOL

These people have no idea how Android works. Always do your own homework before plucking down your hard earned cash.
  6. JunBringer

I heard that Best Buy and/or Radio Shack wasn't letting people leave the store without installing a Task Killer app. This could be a problem for people who don't do their research.
  7. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

yea that is dumb, it's your phone they should not be allowed to force you to install anything... if it's such a vital part of the phone it would be apart of the OS, but there is a built in taskmanager and people don't realize that...
  8. acp

acp Well-Known Member

blah I don't trust anyone about this issue because there never seems to be consistent info. IMO ram is ram whether you're on a pc or a phone and ATK frees up ram if you use it properly and only close unnecessary programs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.