Android Newb making the switch from Ye ole flip phone.

Last Updated:

1. Figment571

Figment571 New Member

Hello all,

I am looking to make the jump to android after hearing about how great it is for so long, luckily I am on T-Mobile so I have a good variety of choices for what I can get. I am getting rid of my old Sony Ericson flip phone so this will be my first smart phone. I am however having some trouble figuring out which phone I should get and was hoping to get some advice. I was thinking about getting either:

G2x - have read it has had some problems so I'm not sure about that one
    G2
    MyTouch 4g- which I have read is htc sense and I was kinda looking for a pure android but i'm not sure
    also, if there are any phones that you think i should also consider please just throw em up.

Also, where is a good place to start in terms of modding and doing all that cool stuff Android people like to talk about.
    any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Shaughnessy

Shaughnessy Well-Known Member

G2X!!! I got it and it is an incredible device. The problems come from the GPS. I don't know the exact chain of events, but having the GPS on will cause the phone to completely shut down requiring a battery pull. LG's kinda new to the Android arena, so I don't know how likely they are to fix it, but if you can live without GPS for the time being, it is an AMAZING phone!
  3. Fetch Questman

Fetch Questman Well-Known Member

I also have the G2x. No problems for me. As far as the GPS goes, I have found the navigation sometimes struggles to find satellites, but I have never had to pull the battery for any reason, or even power down and reset. Great phone by my testing.
  4. scott15r89

scott15r89 Member

i have the a855 "moto droid 1" and am very pleased with it. i guess you need to determine what you want out of your phone, if your just looking for a phone, any will do. if you want to take files with you to/from work, navigate, facebook, email, or just nerd out on your your droid, do the research, watch youtube reviews, read the manufactures specs, my son-in-law seen my droid with a 16gb card and went and bought his first smartphone without doing his homework and it only had a 2 gb card. reviews and specs made my mind up for me. good luck.
  5. Figment571

Figment571 New Member

That is true, I have heard about that new Htc phone and it does seem to have a good camera, which is one of the things i am looking for, but I have heard that Htc locks their phones down so you can't really modify them that much. So, I'm not too sure about that.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

This is from our Evo 3D forum, it should help clear up the locked bootloader nonsense.

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

For general, must-know root/mod info, see http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

After that, modding specifics are best answered once you've selected the model that's right for you, as the steps and details vary by phone.

Hope this all helps! :)

I think you'll find HTC owners are generally loyal bunch, and for good reasons. The original Android phone was an HTC, for one thing, the Sense user interface being quite good is another.

Most important - welcome to the forums!