• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Newbie microsd card question...

alibata

Lurker
Oct 10, 2011
Ok I am worried that the person working in best buy may have tricked me and not installed what I exchanged for...

I initially purchased a PNY class 4 32 gb microSD card at best buy for $79.00 and came to find out that PNY and everyone else was selling the same exact microSD for $49.00. I looked in the Best Buy website and found that the class 10 microSD was listed at a lower price at $69.00 and decided to go back and exchange it and get 10 bucks back. I am new to Android coming from the iphone so I asked the phone dept at best buy if they could help me move files (pictures) that were stored in my sd card that I was exchanging for another one to the internal memory so I don't lose the pictures. The person helping me said that my phone might have problems with the class 10 card because it was made for tablets and even searched forums since I quoted the forums that it should be ok so he pulled up a thread from early 2010 on the galaxy s, telling me the most I should go is class 6. I had the galaxy s2 and asserted that it shouldn't because it is the latest and greatest phone and the processor of the S2 is the same as the one used in the tablets but I could tell he did not want to do it as he continued to fidel with my phone trying to figure out how to get the pictures to the internal storage.. I told him that it was ok and that he could just delete the pictures and unmount the sd to exchange it. When he gave me back my phone my pictures that were suppose to be gone where still there in the sd card.. I asked him about it and he said that what he did worked... I asked him what he did and he said that in the 'my files' folder he moved the pictures from the 'download' folder to the 'android' folder and it is the reason why I have my pictures stored in my new sd card. It confused me because the android folder is located in the sd card.. I am still wondering if this is possible and if he really did switch my old class 4 card for the new class 10 card. Having paid 79 and refunded 10 there is still a 20 dollar difference between the 2 cards if bought somewhere other than best buy.. Please, can someone confirm or contest my suspicion.. Thanks.

Your phone shouldn't have any issues with a class 10 SD. There may be a folder on the SD called "Android" it wouldn't have anything to do with the OS if that is what you are confused about. I don't think you can usually chose to put pics on the internal memory so I am not sure what he would have done, really what should have been done was putting the SD in a computer and putting everything on the memory there then put the new on in the computer and transferring all the files to it. If I were you I would take the SD out and see if it says if it is a class 4 or class 10

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones