Android newbie needs help!!!!!

Last Updated:

1. scottwvu

scottwvu Member This Topic's Starter

So, I bought an android yesterday.........and I am lost. How lost? I have NO idea what a "widget" is. Yeah, I know.....pretty bad, huh?

So I see a tagged thread about a "user manual" for the Android, and I will definately check that out, but I am so lost, I don't even know what to ask. Anyone have any advice, or a place I can go that has something like "Android for dummies"?

I come from the Blackberry Bold, and a Palm Treo 650.

(I got my GF the HTC eris and she LOVES it). Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!! :confused: :D

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

3. Zenman77

Zenman77 New Member

That should pretty much take care of it if you visit the above listed link...... Although the droid is a different kind of system, you guys will catch on in no time....

4. colnago

Just remember that most every shorcut or button, has not just a "touch" activation, but also "press-n-hold" activation. The latter is similar to Windows "right-click".

5. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

press and hold a blank area of the screen, you will get lots of options.

6. scottwvu

scottwvu Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the help!
    Can anyone explain what a "widget" is? :confused:

7. bigbill25

bigbill25 Well-Known Member

Sure. A "widget" is a little mini-application that runs out in your homescreen. Popular ones are a clock that shoes the time, weather widget that shows your latest weather, and a calendar widget that shows upcoming appointments. Widgets are always there and always running on a small area of the home screen, versus a full application that you start, it takes over the full screen, and then switch out of later.

Hope that helps!

--Bill

8. bigbill25

bigbill25 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The clock in the above image is a widget....

--Bill

9. colnago

D@mn...if you only had some kinda program, or device...something to help you find information about something...and maybe give a listing of different examples...shoot. Maybe something you can just talk at, or type in maybe....somebody should come up with something like that. :(

:p

Sorry dude, had to do it. Welcome to the board. The "Search this forum" feature at the top right of the first thread will be your friend.