• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android newbie questions... please help

chiamedic54

Apr 26, 2010
I recently purchased my first Android phone, the Cliq XT. I come from a BB Storm 1, so it's been a bit of an adjustment, but I am liking it immensly better. I've been playing with it, figuring things out for a few days now, but had a few questions...

1) I miss BB messenger!!! prob the one major aspect I miss. from reading through the forums, this seems to be common, but I haven't been able to find an IM program that allows me to share pics like BBM did. Is there something I'm missing? Google Talk seems to be a decent IM app, but I don't see any option to send files.

2) I can't seem to find a way to copy and paste out of emails I receive... Is there something I'm missing? or is this not possible?? I used a lot of email with the BB, and was able to copy out of one email into a new email, or copy into a notepad, and was able to edit forwarded emails, etc.

3)is there a way to switch between different sound profiles? I'd like to set up two different profiles with adjustments to ringtones, and the many dif notifications like email, IM, texts, etc.

So far, these are the top issues i would like to have answered... I'm sure I will have plenty more, so appreciate any patience and help anyone may provide. I will say that for the most part I am loving this phone!!!

In response to your questions.
1) if you are using Gtalk you already have their gmail address as gmail is push mail you can email a picture to another android. For non android friends you can text it with MMS.
2) There is a way to copy text. In the browser menu>more>select text then run your finger over what you want to copy, on my G1 in email I hold down the shift key then an arrow appears on the screen and I use the track ball to move the arrow, then press the track ball to start select then useing the trackball move to the end of the text and press the trackball again. I know you don't have a keyboard so exactly how you do it I don't know but there is a way. Try long press and see if it gives you a menu.

3) There are programs in the market to change sound profiles. One is Locale (used to be free, now $10) that gives you the ability to do a ton of things either at a time (eg 4:00pm) or location (eg work) to change all kinds of things like wallpaper, ringtones, volume, wifi, notifications. There are others maybe someone can suggest.

4) Welcome to Android!

Upvote 0
I am also new so i feel your growing pains as well.

The one thing that I have learned is that if the phone doesn't do something you want it to, or it's difficult to make it do what you want, there is an app that does it better or easier every time.

I have seen a lot of the sound profile apps for free in the market. The easiest way I have found to dig through all of those app is www.appbrain.com

Just download the appbrain app in the market first.

Upvote 0
I came from a BB also.
As a replacement of sorts for BBM I use Handscent SMS. Its gonna be the closest thing to BBM out there. If you used the newest BBM then with Handscent you will still have seperate conversations going and you can also text a group of ppl at the same time using a "batch" send.
Although this does send via text, you can still send pics and stuff just like BBM.

Im still looking for a sound profile manager....if i dont find one by the end of the day I might just start working on one myself.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies... Ifound a profile managerthat seems to work well simply called "profile" cost a buck but seems well worth it.
I am using handcent for text and like it, but still wanted some sort of IM app that didn't use sms/mms like BBM to chat and send files. I found a few to try but the few that allow sending files seem prety buggy right now.
I have not found an answer to the email editting issue other that going through the browser. That is a feature I used a lot with my BB and miss tons.
My only other complaint is the battery life seems pretty horrible right now, so hoping to find a solution to that, but for the most part I am loving the switch!!! Anyone who has owned a BB in the past will understand that I am soooo loving the lack of needing to do battery pulls all day.

Upvote 0
For sound management, there are a lot of options. Timeriffic is free and lets you adjust bluetooth, WiFi, and volume settings based on the day and time. There's also one called Setting Profiles that I have heard of but never used. Might cost money.

Another neat one is Quick Settings, which I keep on my main home screen. Also lets you adjust basic settings (Wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, volume levels, GPS on/off) from a single icon. AudioManager is a good-looking widget that shows your sound levels and lets you adjust them.

Beautiful Widgets is also pretty awesome. Definitely worth the $1 or so it costs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones