Android Noob - Browser never endsSupport

Last Updated:

1. crawrj

crawrj Member This Topic's Starter

OK I have never used android before getting the Epic so please don't flame me on this one. Is it normal for the browser to never end on its own? When I exit out of the browser I have to kill it from task manager every time. Is there a way to fix this?

Advertisement
  2. MILcityBOI

MILcityBOI Well-Known Member

It's just the way Android is designed...Programs that are not in use will eventually be closed when the system needs more Ram....It's just the cycle they work with, now you can just kill it in the task killer and it won't harm anything but it also is standard to keep running in the background.

3. crawrj

crawrj Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for the reply and info. I was hoping that wasn't the case since the browser eats up a fair amount of resources while it is left running. But if that is the way it is then that is fine. Just seems like that is the only program on the phone that doesn't auto shutdown one you exit out.

4. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

Don't kill tasks.

5. MILcityBOI

That's a myth that is not always true....The Epic however has enough processor power that is probably won't lag but other Android devices really do require tasks to be killed from time to time or the phone comes to crawl at a snails pace.

6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

More times than not though, apps don't need to be killed unless they are poorly developed or have "stuck"

OP - Try hitting the back button a few times to back out of the app, that'll usually do the trick.

You could also try Dolphin Browser HD (from the market), as it has an exit button. :)

7. aminaked

It's not always true if you install and run poorly designed apps. I uninstall problem software so I don't need to kill tasks. Android's built in automated task killer does a good job.

8. MILcityBOI

Try using a Hero without a task killer, LOL...that's fun.

9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I do it daily with no problem :) Well... until my upgrade hits at least.

10. aminaked

11. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

To stop an app, you just need to use the back button. Or like you said, go the the task manager. I like using the back button, that way I stay on top of killing apps, and save battery life.

12. aminaked

Usually, in my experience, pressing the home button does the same thing as backing out....depends on the app though.