Android Noob. Data ?'s

Last Updated:

1. thepalmpilot

thepalmpilot New Member This Topic's Starter

So i'm reading a few threads about running the mytouch 3g aka magic without a data plan due to lack of 3g coverage. my question is if you cancel the data plan on your account so to use only WiFi when needed can you still receive SMS and MMS messages over 2G network and if your not near a WiFi connection will your phone try to connect to a 3G network to receive info thus charging your account large fees for data usage. Thanks ahead of time for your great responses. Hope this phone works great for me as it has for many of you.

The Palmpilot

Advertisement
  2. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Yes you can, but there's a catch...

SMS is not a data service, it's a GSM service, so it is not applicable to data usage.

Now, MMS technically uses a data connection, but if you have a messaging plan (which includes all media messaging), it doesn't use data usage.

MMS messaging will work over WiFi and EDGE.

3. thepalmpilot

thepalmpilot New Member This Topic's Starter

So should i just cancel my data plan and not worry about it or should i use an App like APNdroid to disable the 3G and Edge feature on the phone? I just don't like expensive surprises you know. Thanks for the help

4. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

You could, although make sure you have a messaging plan that works for all messaging.

You'll also want to disable any auto-synchronization of everything Google, weather, etc.

5. vorsicht

vorsicht New Member

With no data plan how will you set up the phone?

Google makes you sync before you can use the phone. No data plan you are pretty much hosed after the first update.

6. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Having no data plan could mean one of two things: either one is charged per unit (KB or MB) for use; the other is that data connections are denied outright. I'm assuming it's the former.

There's always good ol' Wi-Fi to configure your Google account setup.

7. vorsicht

vorsicht New Member

I tried that. It will not let me get to the wifi setup untill I have done the intial sync.

My situation was the Donut update hosed my phone. I did the factory wipe data but I was in an area that had only wifi for data service. The phone would tell me it could not do the sync and give me only the option of emergency calls or go back to the gmail account setup thing.