android noob needs help

1. outwar6010

outwar6010 New Member

Hi
    I live in the uk and my upgrade is coming in a fortnight(15th) after 18 months of a boring blackbery im getting the HTC desire. My only concern is that im not too sure what apps are avilable or if there are any similar to the ones i use heavily. The apps I use are;
    -Poynt(used to find restaurants, cinema and businesses near your gps location)
    -google maps
    -dictionary.com
    -msn
    blackberry messenger(what messenger apps does android have)
    any help would be great.
    ps iv seen alot of internet speed tests and am wandering if it is quick without wifi.

Advertisement
  2. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

There are apps that work like Poynt as you have described, there is an official google one and a few others which are quite good.

Google maps is available and is most likely more advanced than the version you used on Blackberry, it has navigation, latitude etc..

There are lots of dictionary apps, or you can just navigate to dictionary.com from the browser.

There are lots of messenger programs also, most of which support multiple accounts such as MSN, Skype, Google Talk etc.

I'm sure there will be others on here that can recommend specific apps but there's no harm in browsing and trying them yourself when you upgrade, and I don't think you'll be dissapointed :)

As for speed, it will depend on your connection to how fast the internet is without wifi, I can normally get HSDPA most of the time which is pretty much as quick as my home broadband :) I'm on Vodafone btw.
    outwar6010 and DCFC79 like this.
  3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Oh boy, are you in luck, you're gonna have a blast with the desire (which I am using to reply to this)!

There are over 50 thousand apps right now btw!

Bliquo is awesome, aloqa is also good, or maybe places directory. Actually, google maps app works incredibly good, phone, navigation directions, reviews and street view in 1 touch? Oh yes. Did I forget the flixster movies app? It is awesome too!

You will cream yourself when you see how awesome it is, and how seamless it is on the phone. Already described the restaurant thing. Add an event to calendar, when the time comes click on location to bring it up on google maps, one more click to get turn by turn navigation right there.

Plenty of apps, even better, highlight a word in browser and you get a pop up linking you to its definition.

Plenty of msn clients, Meebo and nimbuzz are good ones

It had google talk, same thing as bb messenger, but you can use it in pc too.

Yep, the browser is very fast at loading html/javascript. You'll love browsing the web in this phone
    outwar6010 and DCFC79 like this.
  4. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

To sum it up in a few words.:D
  5. KBv1

KBv1 Well-Known Member

Can i ask with Google talk.. does it stay open & online all the time like BBM?

6. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Yes it does
  7. KBv1

KBv1 Well-Known Member

Yay! Thanks man :D I think i have decided to take the plunge to Android an Blackberry's are not doing it for me at the moment... take today my 9520 had a huge fit and then froze and stayed laggy :mad:

OP - what blackberry do you own?
  8. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

It looks like im going to enjoy my desire when i get it in 11 days time
  9. outwar6010

outwar6010 New Member

Sweet same as me lol

thx alot for your help guys one last query how often do updates come(and do they improve stuf drastically)
  10. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

i really can not wait,
  11. mr.hachi

mr.hachi Well-Known Member

You won't be dissapointed, in 4 days I will of had mine a month (time flies) and I'm still sat here customising it and playing with it like a kid on xmas day.
    DCFC79 likes this.