Android on a network?

Last Updated:

1. Vormulac

Vormulac Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks,

I'm not really sure what this functionality would be called, but as I have my Desire connected to my home wifi network, is there a way to treat the phone as another 'computer' on the network to allow data transfer directly between them?
    Specifically I'm thinking this would be the easiest way of getting the photos off my phone onto my server and mp3s off the server onto the phone.

Cheers!

Advertisement
  2. Vormulac

Mods, I'm not complaining, but I'm curious why this was moved, it's not handset specific, it's a general question to the Android users if anyone knows whether this is do-able?

Cheers.

3. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

tef89 likes this.
  4. Vormulac

Thanks rtb35, that looks like the sort of thing I'm on about, just can't get it to do anything though.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Sorry don't know who moved it but you were right, i can move back if you wish?

FTP server is what you want, lets your pc connect to your phone to transfer whatever you want via wifi.

6. Mushhushshu

Mushhushshu Well-Known Member

Estrongs file manager is another option, can connect and view/stream/copy your network shares, doesnt really require any effort to set up.

7. Vormulac

Hi Lekky, thanks for getting back to me. Don't worry about it, I've had some good responses and that's the main thing. Thanks to yourself and Mushhushshu, I'll check out both those apps too (Mushhushshu, do you mean Estrong File Explorer? Couldn't find File Manager).

Cheers!

8. Mushhushshu

Mushhushshu Well-Known Member

Yep thats the one :p Once youve installed it you should just be able to go to the LAN tab and go new scan and you pretty much should be set.

9. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

or the FTPserver app, and a free pc based ftp client like CoreFTP lite

you can drag and drop or copy and paste any files from any folder on your pc to anywhere on the sd card and vice versa using this method, select multiple files at once, etc.

also, DropBox is another great way of accessing and sharing files on any pc and your phone.