• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android or iOS

I've never bought anything from Apple, I'm a long time PC Gamer and there was no real alternative to Windows and there still isn't and Apple's desktop's were massively overpriced and still are.

When the iPhone was first launched it lacked basic features all smartphones had at the time and had an appalling camera with premium price tag, never was a product so over-hyped.

The iPhone has improved allot since then but the main thing that puts me off is the their stubbornness with the screen size and flash support, I know it's not officially supported anymore thanks to Apple but it still works even on kitkat.

Then there's iOS and iTunes, neither of which I want anything to do with.

Upvote 0
I've never bought anything from Apple, I'm a long time PC Gamer and there was no real alternative to Windows and there still isn't and Apple's desktop's were massively overpriced and still are.

When the iPhone was first launched it lacked basic features all smartphones had at the time and had an appalling camera with premium price tag, never was a product so over-hyped.

The iPhone has improved allot since then but the main thing that puts me off is the their stubbornness with the screen size and flash support, I know it's not officially supported anymore thanks to Apple but it still works even on kitkat.

Then there's iOS and iTunes, neither of which I want anything to do with.

Well this just sounds like stubbornness on your part now. Your reasons for hating apple are my reasons for liking them. I love iTunes. I hate big screens, the iPhone 4 was the perfect size.

Upvote 0
Well this just sounds like stubbornness on your part now. Your reasons for hating apple are my reasons for liking them. I love iTunes. I hate big screens, the iPhone 4 was the perfect size.

It's not me that's being stubborn, it's Apple. They think they know what is best for everyone and they don't, that's why Android is dominating Apple when it comes to smartphone market share right now, it's because users want choice and those big screens you hate.

Also why would you choose iTunes? the files are DRM protected and they use their own format. You don't own anything you purchase from iTunes, your only licencing it and depending on whatever licencing agreements they have it could be removed at any time.

Upvote 0
It's not me that's being stubborn, it's Apple. They think they know what is best for everyone and they don't, that's why Android is dominating Apple when it comes to smartphone market share right now, it's because users want choice and those big screens you hate.

Also why would you choose iTunes? the files are DRM protected and they use their own format. You don't own anything you purchase from iTunes, your only licencing it and depending on whatever licencing agreements they have it could be removed at any time.

Sorry, come out of the cave. As of 2009, iTunes has been DRM-free. My complaint is that they frequently cost 10-30% more than Amazon and Google Play (I had to use it to get myself the Skyrim soundtrack). Amazon and Play Music have similar policies re:purchasing as well. Please, educate yourself before implying others are inherently wrong. :rolleyes:

The new rubbish bin Mac is actually very powerful for the price as well- I've had a hard time building conventional computers that cost $4 and have comparable hardware and cooling capabilities. I wouldn't get it, because I value customization.

As for screens, that's purely preference. I like my screens and phones <5". The HTC One is PERFECTLY sized for my huge shovel hands, but the Galaxy Mega/One Max are absurd.

Upvote 0

I've never purchase music from them. I just upload my own so I always own what's on my PC. maybe I'm just to used to it. It's very simple to use. I used to plug my phone in and could easily see my music and pictures. Now I have to search through folders I didn't even know existed on my phone to find my pictures and what's even more annoying is that they're often times in 4 different folders. Also the folders that appear on my computer are named differently than they appear on my phone. For example it may day photos on my phone but pictures on my computer. What's that about?

I do understand that apple is limited and the way android works is overall better. I just wish that if my pictures are in photos on my phone that they were in photos on computer and not in DCIM.

I think what a lot of people don't realize about apple is that they make a product that works for people who couldn't care less about customizing. They make it very simple and user friendly and they do a pretty good job at it. I'm sure there's a lot more people that want a phone that just works then there are people like you and I who want to do our own thing.

Upvote 0
Sorry, come out of the cave. As of 2009, iTunes has been DRM-free. My complaint is that they frequently cost 10-30% more than Amazon and Google Play (I had to use it to get myself the Skyrim soundtrack). Amazon and Play Music have similar policies re:purchasing as well. Please, educate yourself before implying others are inherently wrong. :rolleyes:

The new rubbish bin Mac is actually very powerful for the price as well- I've had a hard time building conventional computers that cost $4 and have comparable hardware and cooling capabilities. I wouldn't get it, because I value customization.

As for screens, that's purely preference. I like my screens and phones <5". The HTC One is PERFECTLY sized for my huge shovel hands, but the Galaxy Mega/One Max are absurd.

Well I'm not promoting the Play Store either, I still prefer to buy CD's but when I do buy music firstly the file format has to be MP3 or FLAC and secondly no DRM.

I'm glad DRM is finally gone but it still doesn't give much incentive over other services and iTunes software is horrible imo, it reminds of Samsung's KIES software for some reason. Do they still come in Apples proprietary file format or do you still need to convert them?

It was only last year that some movies where removed from iTunes and Amazon due to changes in licencing agreements, users who bought the movies were out of pocket.

Nothing wrong with 5" displays, the Galaxy S4 and HTC One are similar sized despite the Galaxy S4 having a larger screen, the larger 5.5"+ devices do look ridiculous imo but allot of people like them and you can't argue with the success of the Note series.

The Mac Pro doesn't seem that over-priced for what it&#8217;s offering, but it&#8217;s definitely possible to build a PC to a similar specification for quite a lot less, even more so for the higher end versions.

I do understand that apple is limited and the way android works is overall better. I just wish that if my pictures are in photos on my phone that they were in photos on computer and not in DCIM.

I'm sure you can do that with Dropbox, I can access my photos on my PC right away.

Upvote 0
Well I'm not promoting the Play Store either, I still prefer to buy CD's but when I do buy music firstly the file format has to be MP3 or FLAC and secondly no DRM.

I'm glad DRM is finally gone but it still doesn't give much incentive over other services and iTunes software is horrible imo, it reminds of Samsung's KIES software for some reason. Do they still come in Apples proprietary file format or do you still need to convert them?

It was only last year that some movies where removed from iTunes and Amazon due to changes in licencing agreements, users who bought the movies were out of pocket.

Nothing wrong with 5" displays, the Galaxy S4 and HTC One are similar sized despite the Galaxy S4 having a larger screen, the larger 5.5"+ devices do look ridiculous imo but allot of people like them and you can't argue with the success of the Note series.

The Mac Pro doesn't seem that over-priced for what it

Upvote 0
iTunes uses AAC. Not proprietary, just expensive for an encoder. I don't like iTunes, either, but mostly due to the pricing model. I can build a desktop of that power for cheaper but having seen it in person, No way in hell can I make a computer that powerful and that small. Still pricy, though

Wasn't iTunes in the news recently for price fixing?

Upvote 0
:D

maceuseof.com_mac-pro-alternative-uses-1.jpg

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

Yeah i'm not sure how your post came across as stubborn, your reasons are perfectly valid for not buying an iPhone - nothing stubborn about it.

Upvote 0
Yeah i'm not sure how your post came across as stubborn, your reasons are perfectly valid for not buying an iPhone - nothing stubborn about it.

And apples reasons for not wanting people to do whatever they want to their phones are perfectly valid. People screw things up. Apples product works so well because it cuts down user error. "Nothing stubborn about it."

Upvote 0
And apples reasons for not wanting people to do whatever they want to their phones are perfectly valid. People screw things up. Apples product works so well because it cuts down user error. "Nothing stubborn about it."

People do screw things up. I should imagine they get peeps going to their Geniuses...."Help I done this jailbreak and Cydia thing, and now my iPhone isn't working properly.". the Gunius would probably just plug it into the Genius Bar Mac and reset the thing back to defaults.

Upvote 0
Never said it was, just that his reasons aren't stubborn for NOT wanting it.

Lol im just implying that if one person can say that apple is stubborn for not allowing people to do specific things then another person can say that that person is stubborn for refusing to use their product. Both of those are the definition of stubborn. Were all entitled to our opinion so I'm Not sure why you are so compelled to start an argument over it.

Upvote 0
Lol im just implying that if one person can say that apple is stubborn for not allowing people to do specific things then another person can say that that person is stubborn for refusing to use their product. Both of those are the definition of stubborn. Were all entitled to our opinion so I'm Not sure why you are so compelled to start an argument over it.

I found a custom ROM for my iPhone 3G lol

Yeah, it was Apple and five publishers price fixing ebooks on Amazon. Unfortunately, sometimes content is iTunes only, like the Skyrim soundtrack

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

I'm not trying to start an argument at all but that's really not the same, if he refuses to use the product because it doesn't meet his needs then that in no way makes him stubborn, calling him that makes no sense. It's not really right to just call someone stubborn because they don't like the same thing as you do.

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to start an argument at all but that's really not the same, if he refuses to use the product because it doesn't meet his needs then that in no way makes him stubborn, calling him that makes no sense. It's not really right to just call someone stubborn because they don't like the same thing as you do.

Stubborn: Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, esp. in spite of good arguments or reasons...

Technically you can call someone stubborn for refusing to do or stop doing anything. Its just a matter of perception. I think it's stubborn and you don't. There's nothing wrong with that. I just think your initial comment of trying to call me out was pointless and unnecessary just like the rest of this so I'll end it here.

Upvote 0
Stubborn: Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, esp. in spite of good arguments or reasons...

Technically you can call someone stubborn for refusing to do or stop doing anything. Its just a matter of perception. I think it's stubborn and you don't. There's nothing wrong with that. I just think your initial comment of trying to call me out was pointless and unnecessary just like the rest of this so I'll end it here.

Well nick I didn't mean to come across as argumentative nor did I want it to come across as calling you out so I apologise.

Upvote 0
I found a custom ROM for my iPhone 3G lol

Yeah, it was Apple and five publishers price fixing ebooks on Amazon. Unfortunately, sometimes content is iTunes only, like the Skyrim soundtrack

Yeh that's restrictions and exclusivity on who gets the rights to distribute certain copyrighted content, which does vary by country as well. If I wanted the Skyrim soundtrack I'd have to go to Baidu and not iTunes.

Despite its name, I can't actually buy tunes from iTunes. :D

Upvote 0
Well nick I didn't mean to come across as argumentative nor did I want it to come across as calling you out so I apologise.

Thanks optimus. I apologize as well for escalating the whole thing.

Let's just get back to bashing android and iOS :)

Oh I think it's funny that on my android device, the spell check automatically capitalizes iPhone and iOS but doesn't for android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones